Image by Peter Marsh / ashmorevisuals
Jonathan is a Principal Teaching Fellow and Director of Graduate Studies. In 2017/18 he will be teaching on the following modules: Sport, Philosophy and Practice, Experimental Ecologies, The Medical Mind in Literature and Culture, as well as Contemporary Performance Practices and Theatre and Performance Research Methodologies.
Previously, he was Research Associate in the CAPITAL Centre (with the Royal Shakespeare Company) where he won the Butterworth Award for Teaching Excellence. He is a co-founder of the Samuel Beckett Laboratory (at Trinity College Dublin) and a core member of the AHRC-funded research project Modernism, Medicine and the Embodied Mind. He serves on the Advisory Group for IFSTAL, a HEFCE-funded collaborative project led by Oxford University, and co-convened the International Federation of Theatre Research 'Performance-as-Research' working group (2013-16).
He gave a keynote address at the Academy of Finland in 2016 (Human Mind Research Programme) and has presented at the several international conferences across Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. He regularly publishes within theatre & performance studies, critical pedagogy and the medical humanities. His recent publications include:
- Heron, Jonathan and Johnson, Nicholas 'Critical pedagogies and the theatre laboratory', in Research in Drama Education: The Journal of Applied Theatre and Performance, 2017
- Heron, Jonathan and Broome, Matthew ‘There’s the record, closed and final: Rough for Theatre II as Psychiatric Encounter', in Journal of Medical Humanities, Springer (USA), 2016
- Heron, Jonathan et al. ‘Beckett on the Wards’: medical humanities pedagogy and ‘compassionate care’, Medical Humanities, British Medical Journals, 2016
- Heron, Jonathan ‘Shakespearean Laboratories and Performance-as-Research’, in Shakespeare on the University Stage, ed. Andrew Hartley, Cambridge University Press, 2015
- Heron, Jonathan; Johnson, Nicholas; Dinçel, Burç Îdem; Quinn, Gavin; Scaife, Sarah Jane; et al. 'The Samuel Beckett Laboratory 2013' Journal of Beckett Studies 23.1 (2014 Apr): 73-95.
Jonathan is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and WIHEA Visiting Educator at Monash in 2017.
Jonathan dot Heron at warwick dot ac dot uk
024 761 50530