Alex grew up in Essex, attending Westcliff High School for Boys for his GCSEs and A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History). He recieved his first class undergraduate masters degree in Chemical Biology from the University of Warwick Department of Chemistry. His final masters year thesis focused on glycosylation systems in prokaryotes as homologues of eukaryotes, under the supervision of Dr. M. Tosin. This work involved structural and functional studies utilising site-directed mutagenesis and activity assays.
Alex began his PhD under the supervision of Prof. M. Gibson in 2017 with industrial collaborators Iceni Diagnostics. The PhD is funded by Iceni Diagnostics and the BBRSC as an MIBTP iCase studentship and split between the School of Life Sciences and Department of Chemistry.
Since October 2017, Alex has been a member of the Postgraduate Student Staff Liason Committee for Chemistry and an MIBTP student representative for the University of Warwick iCase programme. In November 2017, Alex became the Postgraduate Research Representative for the Faculty of Science at the Univeristy of Warwick.
The development of glycan-based nanoparticles for point of care diagnostics.
Alex enjoys running and particpating in outreach activities for all ages, some examples are listed below;
- Demonstrating GCSE, AS and A-Level students in the undergraduate teaching laboratories with Nick Barker.
- Founding and running the Think Science™ conference for two years. The conferences encouraged over 500 A-Level and GCSE students to see the diveristy of current research and to consider studying STEM subjects. Shortlisted as Best Summit, Conference or Forum in 2017 by the University of Warwick Students Union.
- Running the ChemSoc Outreach program, as Outreach Officer (2014-2015), aimed at sparking a love of the Sciences in primary school students. He was awarded the Warwick Volunteers Certificate for this work.
- Carrying out various talks in secondary schools to encourage GCSE and A-Level students to pursue a degree in the Sciences.
- Organising and running an annual 3-day science track at a summer club for primary school children.
- Refurbishing labs and teaching in Solidarity International Academy, Nepal.
Royal Society of Biology: Associate Member (AMRSB)
Royal Society of Chemistry: Associate Member (AMRSC)
Biochemical Society: Postgraduate Student Member
Grants and Bursaries
Outside of his research, Alex enjoys playing hockey, watching Scottish Rugby, films, tech, history and attempting to learn French.
University of Warwick
MChem in Chemical Biology