Synthetic control circuits, transcriptional regulation, control and regulation of cell metabolism, control circuit design and optimization, dynamic metabolic control, synthetic biology
My research interests lie at the interface between mathematics, molecular biology and synthetic biology. In particular, I work on modelling the interaction between genetically encoded control circuits and cell metabolism, and use dynamical systems theory to understand how parameters and control circuit architecture affect the system behaviour.
I am very interested in applying models to understanding and direct the design of synthetic genetic circuits, for applications in metabolic engineering (biochemical production) and synthetic biology.
Throughout my career, I have enjoyed and benefited from working closely with experimentalists in UK, Japan and USA, and endeavour to make strong contributions to science through collaborative research.
- 2003-2007 - MSci in Mathematics - Imperial College London
- 2008-2012 - PhD in Systems Biology - University of Surrey
- 2012-2013 - Postdoc with Prof Andrzej Kierzek - Dept. of Microbial Sciences, University of Surrey
- Developed kinetic model of E. coli central carbon metabolism.
- In collaboration with Dr Yoshihiro Toya, Keio University, Japan.
- 2013-2015 - Postdoc with Prof Adam Price and Dr. Oliver Ebenhoeh - Dept. of Plant Sciences and ICSMB, University of Aberdeen
- Understanding metabolism of O. sativa and molecular evolution of A. thaliana.
- In collaboration with Jun.Prof.Dr. Oliver Ebenhoeh, Heinrich Heine University, Germany.
- 2015-2018 - Postdoc with Dr Diego Oyarzun - Biomolecular control group, Dept. of Mathematics, Imperial College London
- Developing a kinetic model of transcription factor-based regulation of E. coli fatty acid metabolism, and understanding the roles of the control circuit architecture and parameters in driving system behaviour.
- In collaboration with the Biomolecular engineering and Synthetic Biology lab of Dr. Fuzhong Zhang, Washington University in St. Louis, USA, particularly, Di Liu and Christopher Hartline.
- Liu, Di, Mannan, Ahmad A., Han, Yichao, Oyarzún, Diego A., Zhang, Fuzhong, 2018. Dynamic metabolic control : towards precision engineering of metabolism. Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, 45 (7), pp. 535-543
- Mannan, Ahmad A., Liu, Di, Zhang, Fuzhong, Oyarzún, Diego A., 2017. Fundamental design principles for transcription-factor-based metabolite biosensors. ACS Synthetic Biology, 6 (10), pp. 1851-1859
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Warwick Integrative Synthetic Biology Centre (WISB) extension - related to 46082||BBSRC||01 Apr 2020||31 Mar 2021|