A talk by Richard Smith for the International Festival of Teacher-research in ELT 2021 / TESOL International Electronic Village Online on Classroom-based Research for Professional Development 2021, 13 February 2021
My own research as a practitioner
- (2003) 'Pedagogy for autonomy as (becoming-)appropriate methodology'. In Smith, R.C. and D. Palfreyman (eds), Learner Autonomy across Cultures. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2007) 'Responding to resistance'. In A. Barfield and S. Brown (eds), Reconstructing Autonomy in Language Education: Inquiry and Innovation. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. [co-authored with P. Brown and E. Ushioda.
- (2014) ‘Teacher-research as continuing professional development: A project with Chilean secondary school teachers' (with T. Connelly and P. Rebolledo). Chapter 5 in Hayes, D. (ed.) Innovations in the Continuing Professional Development of English Language Teachers. London: The British Council, pp. 111–128.
A handbook for teachers
Richard Smith & Paula Rebolledo (2018) A Handbook for Exploratory Action Research London: British Council.
A handbook for mentors or prospective mentors
Richard Smith (2020) Mentoring Teachers to Research Their Classrooms: A Practical Handbook. New Delhi: British Council.
2) Innovative sharing
Richard Smith, Deborah Bullock, Paula Rebolledo and Andrea Robles López). (2016).'By teachers for teachers: innovative, teacher-friendly publishing of practitioner research' English Language Teacher Education and Development (ELTED) Journal 20: 116–125.
Items in different formats on IATEFL Research SIG 'Teacher Reports' page
First-person written narrative (Yasmin Dar)
Video-recorded presentation (Ana Inés Salvi, Katie Moran)
PowerPoint presentation with audio and blog entry (Sandy Millin)
Poster presentation as publication
Multimedia website: Teachers Research!: Posters, Talks, Discussions. Compilers: R. Smith with D. Xerri, Y. Dar & A. Inés Salvi
EVO posters and video-recorded presentations: Classroom-based research for professional development EVO: participant outcomes, compiled by Richard Smith and Asli Saglam (2018)
From poster presentation to further sharing via reader-friendly writing
'Wrapping up classes': audio-recording of presentation and story with photographs, by Andrea Robles (2014).
Paula Rebolledo, Richard Smith & Deborah Bullock (eds) (2016). Champion Teachers: Stories of Exploratory Action Research London: British Council.
- Paula Rebolledo, Deborah Bullock & Richard Smith (eds) (2018) Champion Teachers Peru: Stories of Exploratory Action Research. London: British Council.
- Paula Rebolledo & Deborah Bullock (eds) (2019) Champion Teachers Mexico: Stories of Exploratory Action Research. London: British Council.
- Janak Singh Negi (ed.) (2019) Exploring for Action, Acting for Change: Stories of Exploratory Action Research in Nepal. Melauli: Support Society Nepal.
3) International sharing
Richard Smith (2016) 'The concept, and spirit of Teachers Research!' in Deborah Bullock and Richard Smith (eds) Teachers Research!. Faversham: IATEFL (2016)
IATEFL Research Special Interest Group
A new kind of conference: Teachers Research!
Harrogate (2014) -->
International Teachers Research! conferences:
TESOL EVO on Classroom-based Research for Professional Development
International Festival of Teacher-research in ELT (2017)
e.g. Delhi mela
TESOL EVO on Mentoring Teacher-research
International Festival of Teacher-research in ELT (2021)