Publications - links etc.
- In press. Mentoring Teachers to Research Their Classrooms: A Practical Handbook. London: British Council.
- In press. Banegas, D.L., De Stefani, M., Rebolledo, P., Rico Troncoso, C. & Smith, R. (eds.). Horizontes I: ELT Teacher-research in Latin America. Faversham: IATEFL.
- In press. Smith, R., Aza, L. & Balsemão Oss, D.I. ‘Reflections on “Teachers Research! Chile 2016” in Banegas, D.L., De Stefani, M., Rebolledo, P., Rico Troncoso, C. & Smith, R. (eds.). Horizontes I: ELT Teacher-research in Latin America. Faversham: IATEFL.
- 2019. 'L.A. Hill's "neutral English": a historical counterpart to ELF'. (co-authored with R. Lowe). ELT Journal.
- 2019. Foreword to Negi, J.S. (ed.) Exploring for Action, Acting for Change: Stories of Exploratory Action Research in Nepal. Melauli: Support Society Nepal. Online Open Access.
- 2019. Bi-Multilingualism and the History of Language Learning and Teaching. Special issue of Language & History, 62(2) (co-edited with R. Mairs).
- 2019. ‘Bilingual English teaching in colonial India: the case of John Murdoch’s work in Madras Presidency, 1855–1875’. (co-authored with R. Vennela). Language & History 62(2), 96-118. Corrected pre-publication version here.
- 2019. ‘How can English teachers develop appropriate methodology? How can they have autonomy?’. In Doff, S., Giesler, T. and Tödter, M. (eds) Die große Frage. Normen, Konzepte, empirische Befunde und Anwendungsbezüge in der aktuellen Fremdsprachendidaktik. Studien zur Fremdsprachendidaktik und Spracherwerbsforschung. Vol. 12. Trier: Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier, 245–260.
- 2019. Foreword to Sağlam, A.L.G. and Dikilitaş, K. (eds) Stories by Teacher Researchers in an Online Research Community. Faversham: IATEFL. Open Access.
- (2018). The History of Language Learning and Teaching, 3 volumes (Vol. I: 16th-18th Century Europe Vol. II: 19th-20th Century Europe; Vol. III: Across Cultures). (edited with N. McLelland). Oxford: Legenda (Modern Humanities Research Association). Introduction: 'Establishing HoLLT: the History of Language Learning and Teaching, Vol. 1: 1–19.
- (2018). Champion Teachers Peru: Stories of Exploratory Action Research. (edited with P. Rebolledo and D. Bullock). London: British Council. Open Access.
- (2018) 'An invitation to Teacher Association Research'. (co-authored with K. Kuchah). English Language Teacher Education and Development Journal 21: 64–71. Open Access.
- (2018) 'Teacher Research 2.0' (co-authored with A.L. Gokturk Saglam and M. Evans). In Pattison, T. (ed.) IATEFL 2017 Conference Selections. Canterbury: IATEFL, pp. 236–238.
- (2018) Special issue of The Language Learning Journal (46/1) on 'Histories of language learning and teaching in Europe' (co-edited with N. McLelland). Guest editorial: 'Histories of language learning and teaching in Europe', pp. 1–5. Open Access.
- (2018) A Handbook for Exploratory Action Research (co-authored with P. Rebolledo). London: British Council. Open Access.
- (2018) Autonomy in Language Learning and Teaching: New Research Agendas (co-edited with A. Chik and N. Aoki). London: Palgrave Pivot.
- (2018) 'Learner autonomy in developing countries' (co-authored with K. Kuchah and M. Lamb). In Chik, A., Aoki, N. and Smith, R. (eds). Open Access.
- (2017) '"Scientific" language teaching'. The Journal of English Language Teaching (India) 59/5: 18-21. Open Access.
- (2017) Teaching in Low-resource Classrooms: Voices of Experience. (edited with A. Padwad and D. Bullock). London: British Council. Open Access.
- (2017) Developing Insights into Teacher-research. Faversham: IATEFL (edited with Anne Burns, Kenan Dikilitas and Mark Wyatt). Online (Open Access).
- (2017) A History of IATEFL: The First 50 Years of the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (with Shelagh Rixon). Faversham: IATEFL. Online (Open Access).
- (2017) 'Reflections on "Teachers Research! Chile 2016"' (with Laura Aza and Débora Izé Balsemão Oss). ELT Research 32: 26-29. Online (Open Access).
- (2016). 'By teachers for teachers': innovative, teacher-friendly publishing of practitioner research' (with D. Bullock, P. Rebolledo and A. Robles López). English Language Teacher Education and Development (ELTED) Journal 20: 116–125. Online (Open Access)
- (2016) Special Issue (Volume 20) of ELTED Journal, on 'Innovative Writing in English Language Teacher Education and Development' (co-editor with D. Banegas) Online (Open Access).
- (2016). Children and Teachers as Co-researchers in Indian Primary English Classrooms. (Co-authored with A. Pinter and R. Mathew). London: The British Council. Online (Open Access).
- (2016) 'Teacher development: low-resource classrooms' (video materials). Online.
- (2016). 'Researching teacher associations' (with Kuchah Kuchah). ELT Journal 70/2: 212-221.
- (2016). Champion Teachers: Stories of Exploratory Action Research (edited with P. Rebolledo and D. Bullock). London: British Council. Online (Open Access).
- (2016). ‘ELT Journal / IATEFL Debate: Language testing does more harm than good’ (with A. Green). In Pattison, T. (ed.) IATEFL 2015 Manchester Conference Selections. Faversham: IATEFL, pp. 192-195. Also on ELT Journal website (Open Access).
- (2016). 'Building "Applied Linguistic Historiography": Rationale, scope and methods', by Richard Smith. Applied Linguistics 37/1: 71-87. Online (Open Access).
- (2015). Teachers Research! (edited with Deborah Bullock). Faversham: IATEFL Research SIG. Online (Open Access).
- (2015). 'The concept, or spirit, of “Teachers Research!"'. In Bullock, D. and Smith, R. (eds) Teachers Research! Faversham: IATEFL Research SIG. Online (Open Access).
- (2015). '‘Introducing: a new kind of book for teacher-research’. In Bullock, D. and Smith, R. (eds) Teachers Research! Faversham: IATEFL Research SIG. Online (Open Access).
- (2015). Teacher-researchers in Action (edited with K. Dikilitas and W. Trotman). Faversham: IATEFL Online (Open Access)
- (2015). ‘Exploratory action research: why, what, and where from?’ In Dikilitas, K., Smith, R. and Trotman, W (eds). Teacher-researchers in Action. Faversham: IATEFL, Chapter 3 (pp. 37-45). Online (Open Access).
- (2015) Review of Teacher Research in Language Teaching: A Critical Analysis by S. Borg, Cambridge University Press 2013. ELT Journal 69/2: 205-208.
- (2015) ‘Supporting teacher-research: challenges and opportunities’ (with P. Rebolledo, F. Shamim and M. Wyatt). In Pattison, T. (ed.) IATEFL 2014 Harrogate Conference Selections. Faversham: IATEFL, pp. 197-201. Pre-publication version.
- (2015) 'The state of ELT research in the UK (Part II)' (roundtable discussion report, with Gosia Sky). ELT Research 30; 21-24. Online (Open Access)
- (2014) Directory of UK ELT Research, 2011–12 (Co-author with S. Choi, I. Liggins and G. Sky). London: The British Council. Online (Open Access).
- (2014) 'The history of Teaching English as a Foreign Language, from a British and European perspective’ (with A.P.R. Howatt). Language and History 57/1: 75-95. Online (Open Access)
- ‘An interview with John Trim (1924—2013) on the history of modern language learning and teaching’, by Richard Smith and Nicola McLelland (2014). Language and History57/1: 10-25. Online (Open Access)
‘Building the history of language learning and teaching (HoLLT)’, (with N. McLelland). Introduction to special issue on ‘History of Modern Language Education in Europe’. Language and History 57/1: 1-9. Online (Open Access)
- (2014) ‘Teacher-research as continuing professional development: A project with Chilean secondary school teachers’ (with T. Connelly and P. Rebolledo). Chapter 5 in Hayes, D. (ed.) Innovations in the Continuing Professional Development of English Language Teachers. London: The British Council, pp. 111–128. Online (Open Access)
- . ‘Transformations in ELT: Agents, contexts and opportunities’. In Shrestha, P.N., Dhakal, K.R., Ojha, L.P., Rana, L.B., and Rawal, H. (eds) NELTA Conference Proceedings 2013. Kathmandu, Nepal: Nepal English Language Teachers’ Association, pp. 12-22. Pre-publication version.
- (2014) '"Teacher Association research": An innovative form of teacher-research' [with H. Kuchah Kuchah]. Voices (January-February).
- (2013) [Editor]. The Warwick ELT Archive Catalogue, 3rd, updated edition (Part 1: Published materials (up to 1979); Part 2: Unpublished / archival items; Part 3: Selected items published from 1980 onwards). Published online: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/collect/elt_archive/catalogue
- (2013) 'Harold E. Palmer, IRLT and "historical sense" in ELT’. IRLT Journal 12 (Journal of the Institute for Research in Language Teaching, Tokyo: Special issue to celebrate the Institute's 90th anniversary). Pre-publication version.
- (2013) . ‘Exploring teacher-learning: Interview with Richard Smith, Learner Development SIG co-founder’ [with A. Barfield]. Learning Learning 20/2: 44-49. Online: http://ld-sig.org/LL/20two/specialFeature.pdf
- (2013). ‘Researching with children’ (Online Forum Report) [with A. Pinter and K. Kuchah]. ELT Journal 67/4: 484-487.
- (2013). Foreword to Dikilitaş, K. (ed.). Teacher-research Studies: Inquiries from Teacher Perspectives, Volume 2. Ankara: Nobel.
- (2013). ‘Teacher education and autonomy: Where’s the real story?’ [with G. Barkhuizen and F. Vieira]. In A. Barfield & N.Delgado Alvarado (eds), Autonomy in Language Learning: Stories of Practices. Canterbury, England: IATEFL Learner Autonomy SIG. Pre-publication version.
- (2013). 5 short chapters in Strawson, H. et al. 53 Ways to Deal with Large Classes [with M. Ajjan]. Newmarket, Suffolk: The Professional and Higher Partnership.
- (2013). ‘ELT coursebooks: Past, present and possible’ [with Gray, J., Freeman, D., Kiai, A., Tanaka, M. and Banegas, D.]. In Pattison, T. (ed.) IATEFL 2012 Glasgow Conference Selections. Canterbury: IATEFL. Pre-publication version.
- (2012). Thematic Bibliography on Large Class Teaching / Teaching in Difficult Circumstances (2002 onwards) . [with M. Ajjan and M. Saleem]. Coventry: Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick. Online: bit.ly/TELCbiblio2
- (2012) 'Unpackaging the past: 'CLT' through ELTJ keywords'. ELT Journal 66/4: 430-439. [Co-authored wiith D. Hunter.]
- (2012) 'The work of Brian Abbs and Ingrid Freebairn', ELT Journal 66/3: 383-393 [Co-authored with S. Rixon.].
- (2012) ‘The state of ELT research in the UK’. [with J. Knagg.]. ELT Research 27: 5-7. Also online.
- (2012). 'Investigating large classes' (panel discussion). In Pattison, T. (ed.) IATEFL 2011 Brighton Conference Selections. Canterbury: IATEFL. [Co-authored with Negash, N., França, V., Wang, Q., Phyak, P., Ajjan, M., Kuchah, H.K., Saleem, M., Sarwar, Z., and Coleman, H.] Pre-publication version here. Video of original panel discussion here.
- (2012) 'A.S. Hornby's life and legacy'. ELT Journal 66/1: 1-5.
- (2012) Preface to Irie, K. & Stewart, A., eds. (2012). Realizing Autonomy: Practice and Reflection in Language Education Contexts. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. [Co-authored with N. Aoki.]
- (2011) Autonomy in Language Learning: Opening a Can of Worms. Canterbury, Kent: IATEFL. [Co-edited with Everhard, C.J. and Mynard, J.]. Kindle version available for purchase here, pdf version here.
- (2011) ‘Harold E. Palmer’s alternative "applied linguistics"’. Histoire–Epistémologie–Langage 33/1: 53-67. Online (Open Access).
- (2011) Directory of UK ELT Research 2009-10. London: The British Council. [Compiled with S. Choi, S. Reid, G. Sky and D. Hunter.] Accessible via: http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/elt-research
- (2011) ‘Pedagogy of autonomy for difficult circumstances: From practice to principles’. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching 5/2: 119-139 [co-authored with K. Kuchah.]
- (2011) 'Teaching English in difficult circumstances: A new research agenda'. In Pattison, T. (ed.) IATEFL 2010 Harrogate Conference Selections. Canterbury: IATEFL. Pre-publication version here. Associated talk here.
- (2011) 'Promoting teacher-learner autonomy through and beyond initial language teacher education'. Language Teaching 44/1: 118-121. [co-authored with E. Ushioda, S. Mann and P. Brown.] Accessible here.]
- (2010). [Co-editor]. Thematic Bibliography on Large Class Teaching / Teaching in Difficult Circumstances (2002 onwards) . [with M. Ajjan, M. Saleem and X. Huang.] Coventry: Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick. Online: bit.ly/telcbiblio1
- (2010). Directory of UK ELT Research 2005-08. London: The British Council. [jointly compiled with S. Rixon.]
- (2009) Teacher education for learner autonomy: Building a knowledge base. Special issue (3/3, December 2009) of the journal Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching [co-edited with F. Vieira]. Contents here
- (2009). 'Claude Marcel (1793-1876): A neglected applied linguist?'. Language and History 52/2: 173-184.
- (2009). 'Chinese learners' strategy use in historical perspective: A cross-generational interview-based study'. System 37/2: 286-299. [co-authored with X. Jiang.]
- (2009). 'Autonomy: Under whose control?' [commentary chapter]. In Pemberton, R., Toogood, S. and Barfield, A. (eds), Maintaining Control. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press. [co-authored with E. Ushioda.]
- (2009). 'Critical approaches to coursebooks'. In Beaven, B. (ed.) IATEFL 2008 Exeter Conference Selections. Canterbury: IATEFL. [co-authored with J. Kullman, J. Gray, S. Wharton, D. Santos and A. Pennycook.]
- (2008). 'Taking the bull by its horns: Zakia Sarwar's pro-autonomy approach to large classes in Pakistan (Part I)'. Independence 44: 7-13. Pdf
- 'Learner autonomy' (Key concepts in ELT). ELT Journal 62/4: 395-397. (2008).
- (2008) A commentary on 'Teacher education for learner and teacher autonomy'. In Jiménez Raya, M. and Lamb, T. (eds), Pedagogy for Autonomy in Modern Languages Education: Theory, Practice, and Teacher Education. Dublin: Authentik.
- (2008) 'The history of learner autonomy'. In Dam, L. (ed.) 9th Nordic Conference on Developing Learner Autonomy in Language Learning and Teaching: Status and Ways Ahead after Twenty Years. Copenhagen: CVU.
- (2008) ‘Teacher-learner autonomy: Programme goals and student-teacher constructs’. In Lamb, T. and Reinders, H. (eds), Learner and Teacher Autonomy: Concepts, Realities and Responses. Amsterdam: Benjamins. [co-authored with S. Erdoğan].
- (2008) ‘Taking stock of ELTED (A conversation)’ [with J. Kennedy and E. Ushioda]. English Language Teacher Education and Development 13: 52-57. Online: http://www.elted.net/issues/volume-11/8%20Kennedy%20et%20al.pdf
- (2007) 'The origins of ELT Journal'. Online [on the Oxford University Press ELT Journal website].
- (2007) 'The birth and early years of the IATEFL Learner Independence SIG'. Independence 40: 4-12.
- (2007) ‘Responding to resistance’. In A. Barfield and S. Brown (eds), Reconstructing Autonomy in Language Education: Inquiry and Innovation. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. [co-authored with P. Brown and E. Ushioda.]
Selected pre-2007 publications
PhD Supervision / Research Projects / Professional Commitments - Links
- My research projects/publications and those of my research students relate to the following areas: History of language learning and teaching (HoLLT) and History of applied linguistics (HoAL); Textbook research; Teaching English in Large Classes and otherwise 'difficult' circumstances; learner autonomy and practitioner research/teacher development. If you are interested in working for a PhD in one of these areas under my supervision, please feel free to send me a draft proposal for consideration (to: R.C.Smith@warwick.ac.uk)
- In 2008 I was elected joint convenor of the AILA Research Network on Learner Autonomy and in 2011 I was re-elected to serve a second term, until 2014. In 2008, I jointly founded and am continuing to coordinate an international research network on Teaching English in Large Classes in developing countries. Since 2011 I have also been coordinator of the IATEFL Research Special Interest Group and in 2015 I became founding co-convenor of a new AILA Research Network on the History of Language Learning and Teaching.
- Since 2009 I have been awarded several research grants by the British Council to survey UK ELT Research (2005 onwards). From 2009 onwards I have also been Principal Investigator for two historical research projects: 'An Archive and Record of UK-funded ELT projects, 1950 onwards' (and 'An Archive and Record of British Council Involvement in ELT, 1934-2009'. From 2012 to 2014 I plqyed a leading role in a Research Network Project funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council - 'Towards a History of Modern Foreign Language Teaching and Learning', and I am currently Principal Investigator in a research project funded by the British Council to develop a 'Survey of ELT Research in India'.
- In 2002 I founded the Warwick ELT Archive, a unique collection of materials relating to the history of applied linguistics and the teaching of English as a second/foreign language, c.1880-1980. I am a member of the Executive Committee of the Henry Sweet Society for the History of Linguistic Ideas and am Deputy Chair of the A.S. Hornby Educational Trust.
- I am 'Key Concepts' Editor for ELT Journal (Oxford University Press) and Chair of the editorial panel of the online journal English Language Teacher Education and Development (ELTED).
- Invitations to give keynote papers at conferences, workshops or lectures have taken me to Argentina, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Nepal, Norway, Pakistan, Portugal and Turkey. In 2018 I will be giving invited papers, talks and workshops in Chile, India, Nepal and Peru.
Responsibilities in the Centre for Applied Linguistics
- Convenor of the Language Learning, Teaching, and Assessment (LLTA) Research Group
- Chair of CAL's Warwick 50th anniversary working group, and CAL representative on Faculty of Social Sciences Warwick in California committee
Teaching: Foreign Language Learning (BA); Language Learning for a Global Career (MSc); Issues and Research in ELT (MA);, English in International Development (MA); Research Methodology (MA and PhD programmes)
Supervision of MA and PhD dissertations / theses;
Director of the Warwick ELT Archive;
Chair of English Language Teacher Education and Development Journal editorial committee.