We are developing both a physical collection of writings on learner autonomy in language education (housed in the Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick and consultable on site - we do not provide a photocopying or interlibrary loan service) and a digital archive of some writings, including reproduction here when permissions are forthcoming. (See links below for items accessible electronically so far.).
Our action plan is:
(1) to safeguard writings which are already or might become difficult to obtain;
(2) to serve as a temporary home for electronic publication of difficult-to-obtain sources (when permissions are given), until the point when these can be published by the writers / original publisher (e.g. teacher associations in the case of newsletters) themselves;
(3) to encourage and provide help to other autonomy-related associations etc. to publish their own archives; and
(4) to provide links to various sources - whether uploaded here or available on other sites - on this page.
See www.warwick.ac.uk/go/circal/dahla/histories/books for a comprehensive chronological list of books, reports, conference proceedings etc. connected with learner autonomy in language education
Digital archive accessible so far:
Harding-Esch, E.M., ed. (1977) Self-Directed Learning and Autonomy. Report of a Seminar held at Cambridge, 13-15 December 1976. University of Cambridge, Department of Linguistics and CRAPEL. (Mimeo)
Riley, P. (1986) 'Who's who in self-access'. TESOL France News 6/2: 23-35.
Gabrielsen, G. (ed.). (1987) Report: Developing Autonomous Learning in the FL Classroom, Køge, September 18-21 1986. Copenhagen: Danmarks Lærerhøjskole. (Mimeo). [For information on the Nordic Workshops themselves, click here.]
Trebbi, T., ed. (1990) Third Nordic Workshop on Developing Autonomous Learning in the FL Classroom, Bergen, August 11-14, 1989: Report. Bergen, Norway: Institutt for praktisk pedagogikk, Universitet i Bergen. (Mimeo) [For information on the Nordic Workshops themselves, click here.]
Links to resources available on other sites:
- CRAPEL: Mélanges Pédagogiques (now Mélanges CRAPEL) since 1970 (CRAPEL = Centre de Recherches et d'Applications Pédagogiques en Langues, Université Nancy 2, France)
- Independence [pdfs of earliest. issues have been sent on but not yet uploaded from within DAHLA project]. Digital archive of back issues of the IATEFL Learner Autonomy [previously, Learner Independence] Special Interest Group. Update (16 October 2012): Back issues have begun to be uploaded here: http://lasig.iatefl.org/archive.html
- Learning Learning Archive [earliest (1994 to 1998) issues uploaded from DAHLA holdings]. Digital archive of some back issues of the JALT Learner Development Special Interest Group newsletter, Learning Learning. See also the previous Learning Learning Archive
- AUTO-L archive: Archived messages on the AUTO-L discussion list (December 2007 onwards: previous messages were not automatically archived)