There is a wide variety of financial support and funding available:
1. Doctoral Scholarships - The British Council has announced doctoral scholarships for 2007-8 under the UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI). Up to ten scholarships are available for Indians to carry out research leading to PhD and DPhil in UK institutions.
The scholarships are aimed at strengthening educational relations between India and UK in the next five years so that in the longer term, the two countries become each other's partner of choice in education.
Applications are welcome from candidates in all disciplines, although the majority of the awards are likely to be in areas related to Science and Technology.
The applicant should:
1) Be an Indian national with a valid Indian passport
2) Be below 35 years of age as on 15 May 2007
3) Have an excellent academic track record
4) Be applying for a doctoral research degree (PhD, DPhil) in a UK university
5) Be planning to commence study by September/October 2007
The scholarships are fully funded, including academic fees, international air fare and a monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
Candidates for the scholarships are selected through a process of short listing from the applications received, followed by personal interviews, which will be held in one of the British Council offices in New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata or Mumbai.
Application form and guidelines can be downloaded from the website www.ukieri.org
Closing date for applications: Please check website regarding deadlines
2. Warwick Postgraduate Research Fellowships, provides funding for three years PhD study.
3. Overseas Research Student Awards Scheme: This scheme is open to overseas applicants who want to follow a postgraduate research degree in the UK. The scheme pays the difference between the home and overseas fees for full-time students of outstanding merit and research potential. Candidates must hold an offer from the University to study for an MPhil/PhD or PhD before applying for an ORS award. Application forms and further information are available from the Scholarships Officer in the Graduate School. Applications should be returned to the University, email@example.com. The deadline is normally the middle of January. Late applications will not be accepted. Applicants will be informed by early March whether they have been nominated by the University to go forward to the national competition.
Other sources of funding: