Open Seminars, etc.
- Salma Belaala, Marie Curie Research Fellow, CRER
"Algerian Experience and Revolts in Arabic World: from Democratic Transition to Civil War"
7th June 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Janroj Keles, Research Fellow of Working Lives Research Institute, London Metropolitan University
"Visualising an Invisible 'Community': an Experiment in Participatory Photography Among Kurdish Diaspora in London"
17th May 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Yvon LeBot, Marie Curie Research Fellow, CRER
"Transnational Migrants Today as Social and Cultural Actors"
10th May 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
Ibrahim Sirkeci, Reader, European Business School, London Regents College
"Cultures of Migration: Conflicts, Non-Movers and Household"
8th March 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- David Martin Smith, Canterbury Christ Church University, Margaret Greenfields, Buckinghamshire New University
"Ethnic Identity Building Among British Housed Gypsies and Travellers"
1st March 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- CANCELLED DUE TO ILLNESS -
Liviu Matei, Central European University
"The Knowledge Society as a Practical Utopia and the Place of Ethnic Minorities in Higher Education Policy Making"
8th February 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Helal Shahid, Chief Executive, WREP, Leamington Spa
"Role of Race Equality Councils in Britain pre and post Equality Act 2010"
1st February 2011, Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Steve Garner, Dept of Sociology, Aston University, Birmingham
"Race, Class, Englishness and Entitlement"
23rd November, 2010 - Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Papa Sow, CRER, University of Warwick
"Polygamy Practices Among West African Migrants in Spain and France"
2nd November, 2010 - Social Sciences Building, First Floor, Room S1.14
- Conference: Women from Muslim Communities and their Engagement in Politics, 20th/21st September 2010
- Adela Ros, Open University of Catalonia, Spain
"Ethnic Relations in the Digital Era: the Case of Bolivian Women in Catalonia"
8th June 2010 - Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Valentina Iversen, St Olavs Hospital, Norway
"Refugees' Motivation for Mandatory Language Training"
25th May 2010 - Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Rachael Chapman, Local Government Centre Business School, University of Warwick
"Faith, Governance and Community Cohesion"
11th May 2010 - Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Dr Jose Lingna Nafafe, Dept of Sociology, University of Birmingham
"Luso-African Migrants: Labour and Integration in Northern and Southern Europe - Lisbon, Madrid and Birmingham"
16th March 2010 - Ramphal Building, Room R1.03
- Mr Fiyaz Mughal, OBE, Founder and Director, Faith Matters
"Relations between Sikh and Muslim communities in the UK: Interfaith Stereotyping and the Potential for Conflict".
9th February 2010 - Ramphal Building, Room R1.03
- Professor John Oucho, Marie Curie Chair, CRER, University of Warwick
"Is African Brain Drain UK's Brain Waste?"
19th January 2010 - Ramphal Building, Room R1.03
- Dr Surinder Guru, Institute of Applied Social Studies, University of Birmingham
"Motherhood and Divorce among British South Asian Women"
10th November 2009 - Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.98
- Dr Lorenzo Cachon Rodriguez, Study Group on International Migrations, Complutense University, Madrid,
"The Migration Issue in Spain: Challenges of a Recent Country of Immigration"
1st December 2009 - Wolfson Research Exchange Seminar Room 3, 3rd Floor Library
- Professor Jim Beckford, Department of Sociology, University of Warwick
"Reigion in the UK: Post-Secularity?"
8th December 2009 - Social Studies Building, 2nd floor, S2.84
- Moazzam Begg, Director, Cage Prisoners
"Looking Forward to Guantanamo"
13 October 2009 - Social Studies Building, Ground Floor, Room SO.28
CONFERENCE, 29-30 JUNE 2009 - African Transnational and Return Migration
- Expert Meeting on African Migration in Euro-African Relations
- Prof Eleanor Nesbitt, Warwick Institute of Education, Warwick
Religious Socialisation in an Ethnically Diverse Society Nurture and "Mixedness"
2nd June 2009
- Prof Sally Tomlinson, Dept of Education, Oxford
Race and Education: Policy and Politics in Britain
5th May 2009
- Dr Chris Baker, William Temple Foundation
Faith in the City? - Negotiating the Postcolonial and the Postsecular
10th March 2009
- Dr Malika Mehdid, University of Algiers in Algeria
Writing the Algerian Feminist Experience
24th March 2009
- Susie Uppal, Director of Legal Enforcement, Equality and Human Rights Commission
The Equality and Human Rights Commission - Making a Difference
20 January 2009
- Prof John Clarke, Faculty of Social Sciences, The Open University
Talking Citizenship: Governmental and Vernacular Discourses
9 December 2008
Dr Afiya Shehrbano Zia, Visiting Fellow, SOAS, Centre for Gender and Religions Research
Challenges to Secular Feminism in Pakistan
25 November 2008
- Prof Eugene Campbell, (IAS Visiting Fellow), University of Botswana
Internal Migration and Remittance in Botswana
4th November 2008
- Prof Edward Tiryakian, Duke University, North Carolina USA
Whither or Wither "The New Colkossus" Reflections on Immigration Issues in the United States and Europe
14 October 2008
- Nicholas De Genova, Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Latino Studies, Columbia University (
New York) AND Marie Curie Research Fellow, Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
Antiterrorism and the Securitisation of Migration in the United States
24 June 2008
- Dr Ricard Morén-Alegret, Assistant Professor in Human Geography, & Coordinator of the Migration Research Group, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona AND Visiting Fellow & Associate Researcher at Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
Cultural Organisations and Georgraphy
10 June 2008
- Nicholas de Genova (Marie Curie International Incoming Fellow), Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
“Border Effects” - An International Interdisciplinary Symposium - Speakers Vicki Squire and Sandro Mezzadra
16 May 2008
- Dr David Owen, Institute for Employment Research and Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
Recent Economic Migration to the Midlands
6 May 2008
- Gurminder Kaur Bhambra, Department of Sociology, University of Warwick
Understanding Europe in Times of the Postcolonial
4 March 2008
- Professor Jimi Adesina, (Professor of Sociology) Rhodes University and (Visiting Fellow) Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford
The Sociology of a Liberated South Africa
19 February 2008
- Professor John Oucho (Marie Curie Chair) Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
"The Undercurrents of Ethnic Conflict in Kenya Today"
8 January 2008
- Dr Mila Maeva (Visiting Fellow) Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
Modern Migration Waves of Bulgarian Turks
11 December 2007
- Dr Rana Jawad (Research Fellow) Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
Religion and social welfare policy in the Middle East
27 November 2007
- Bart van der Putte, Department of Sociology, Ghent University, Belgium
"Class, migration and love. An analysis of the formation of the lower class in 19th century Belgium and England"
6 November 2007
- Dr Thomas Lacroix (Marie Curie Fellow), Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick
The Migrant Organisations of Development: the metastructures of transnationalism
16 October 2007
- Professor Yngve Lithman (Head of Research Centre on International Migration and Ethnic Relations (IMER), University of Bergen):
Youth, Otherness, and the Plural City: Modes of Belonging and Social Life.
22nd May 2007
- Dr Hein de Haas (International Migration Institute, University of Oxford):
Migration and Development, the Case of the Todgha Valley, Morrocco.
5th June 2007
- Dr Selmin Kaska (Marie Curie Fellow, CRER, University of Warwick):
Globalisation of Domestic Work: Moldovan Domestic Workers in Turkey.
12th June 2007
- Dr Catherine Wihtol de Wenden (Director of Research, CNRS, France):
Immigration in France.
23 January 2007
- Francois Gemenne (FNRS Research Fellow and PhD candidate, CEDEM and Sciences-Po Paris):
Forced Migrants who are not Refugees: Status and Protection of Environmentally-Displaced People.
28 November 2006
- Dr Ricard Moren (Social Researcher, Migration Research Group, Geography Department, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona):
Integration Revisited: Immigrants' Voices from the Field.
14 November 2006
- Professor John Rex (Emeritus Professor, Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick):
Mexican Migration in the USA.
6 June 2006
- Michael Collyer (Research Fellow, Sussex Centre for Migration Research):
The Fragmented Journeys of Undocumented Migrants in Morocco.
23 May 2006
- Mr Ashok Chand (Lecturer, School of Health and Social Studies, University of Warwick):
Child Protection and Minority Ethnic Families: The Research Reviewed.
9 May 2006
- Dr Osten Wahlbeck (Senior Lecturer, Dept of Sociology, Abo Akademi University):
Work in the Kebab Economy: A Study of the Turkish Ethnic Economy in Finland.
25 April 2006
- Dr Tahir Abbas (Department of Sociology, Birmingham University):
British South Asian Muslims After 7/7: Ethnicity, Multiculturalism and Political Radicalism
28 February 2006 Presentation
- Professor Peter Wade :
Race, Ethnicity and Nation in Europe: Perspectives from Kinship and Genetics.
14 February 2006
- Dr Christophe Bertossi (Senior Research Fellow, French Institute of International Relations (IFRI), Paris):
Rioting in France. Abstract
17 January 2006
- Professor Felix Brodbeck (Aston University):
Managing Cultural Diversity. Abstract
15 November 2005
- Dr Eric Macé (Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - EHESS, Paris):
Race Representations in French TV programmes: Realistic Discriminations of a National Social Imaginary. Abstract
1 November 2005
- Professor Istvan Pogany (University of Warwick):
The Roma of Central and Eastern Europe: Some Human Rights Challenges. Abstract
18 October 2005
- Dr Anil Gumber (Senior Research Fellow, Warwick Medical School, Warwick University):
Occupational Health and Safety Among Britain's Ethnic Minorities. Abstract
10 May 2005
- Atreyi Majumdar (Reader in Economics, University of Delhi, India):
The Impact of Globalisation on Employment Generation in India
26 April 2005
- Professor Steve Fenton (University of Bristol, Centre for the Study of Ethnicity and Citizenship):
The Ethnic Majority in a Multicultural Society. Abstract
22 February 2005
- Professor Andrew Rigby (Coventry University, Centre for the Study of Forgiveness and Reconciliation):
The Politics of Forgiveness. Abstract
8 February 2005
- Professor Antima Farro (University of Rome):
Alter-globalisation Movement and Cultural Diversity in Europe.
25 January 2005
- Dr Svetlana Stamenova (Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, University of Warwick):
The Peculiarities of the Balkan Political Culture and its Impact upon Inter-ethnic Understanding.
9 November 2004
- Dr Ricard Moren-Alegret (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona):
Foreign Immigration in Rural Areas and Small Towns of Spain. Abstract
28 September 2004
- Student Conference on Forced Migration
- Citizenship and Discrimination in Europe Conference