James is 18, unemployed and living in Fauldhouse, West Lothian. He left school at 16 with Standard Grades at Foundation Level. He has been on several different Skillseekers schemes but has not added to his qualifications. James is willing to consider employment, preferably in construction or transport and distribution. However, he is not willing to consider employment that he considers to be low paid. James has no transport of his own, which limits his options since public transport is expensive and limited in its services. He has been checking the local newspapers and Jobcentre Plus for vacancies and has heard that Tesco are building a new distribution depot in Livingston. He would like more information, but does not have a current CV.
James might want LMI to:
help him identify the different types of jobs in transport and distribution and construction;
inform him about occupational information, job descriptions and skill requirements;
update him on building projects and new developments in the area;
provide contact details of potential building and distribution employers in his 'travel to work' area.
What all this LMI means for him!
James may still have questions. For example:
- Are there many job opportunities for people with few or limited qualifications?
- How many of these jobs are advertised?
- Does he have the skills employers want and need?
So - will the focus of the support he requires be on:
- providing appropriate LMI?
- marketing himself better?
- writing speculative applications?
- identifying the hidden job market?
- making effective decisions?