Public legal education addresses legal need arising from lack of awareness of the legal system and reduced access to sources of assistance at a community level, rather than through case specific or individual legal advice.
The module aims to introduce students to the ideas and practice of public legal education through a mix of clinical and experiential learning that provides practical support to our local community.
Community projects 2019-20
As part of the PLE module, students undertake community-based projects to develop and deliver public legal education. Working with community organisations, they use their legal knowledge in creative ways to design and deliver community sessions that address defined needs. This can take the form of workshops, social media, teaching materials or films – whatever fulfils the brief for the organisation and works effectively for their audiences.
Some of the student projects this year:
- Research, write and produce a series of films on Council Tax for Coventry residents
- Create a community hub for residents to access advice and promote the new advice service through social media
- Research and lead housing workshops to support refugee families' integration into their new communities, dealing with tenancy types and disrepair; housing benefits and council tax.
- Research and deliver workshops for Coventry’s young disabled people on the using transport services such as buses and accessing disabled WCs.
- Raise awareness of the rights of young people to citizenship, and accessing free legal advice, Students produced a workshop outline with accompanying materials for secondary school students in Birmingham and Coventry including tips and hints for teaching staff on how best to deliver the sessions.
- Develop a suite of practical resources relating to Annual Health Checks (AHCs) people with learning disabilities, to serve as a guide for parents and carers.
- Set up new webpages to help students deal with housing issues on behalf of Warwick University Students Union
'Students create videos on Council Tax for Coventry Independent Advice Service'Find out more about the Council Tax video project
Going forward, many of these resources will be showcased on the Warwick University pages of Advice Now the Law for Life Public Legal Education website.