Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reform: Tensions and Opportunities
Workshop organised jointly by Warwick Law School in conjunction with Warwick Business School and the Warwick Network CREW (Connecting Research on Work and Employment).
Friday 25 May 2018 | IAS Seminar Room - Milburn House, University of Warwick
Coordinators: Professor Ralf Rogowski (academic supervision) and Andi Hoxhaj (conference organisation)
The topic of labour market policy and its implication for labour law reform is of considerable political and academic importance in the European Union and beyond. The workshop will provide new insights on current reform efforts of labour law in the European Union that are influenced by neoliberal economic policies and constitute responses to the European Employment Strategy. The aim of this interdisciplinary workshop is to evaluate recent labour law reforms at the national and supranational level of the European Union from a comparative perspective. It will ask critical questions about tensions but also opportunities for future labour market policy-driven reforms of labour law. It brings together distinguished academics and Ph.D. students in discussing policy developments and empirical findings.
The workshop is hosted by the Institute of Advanced Studies of the University of Warwick on the occasion of Riccardo Del Punta’s stay as IAS International Visiting Fellow.
10.00-11.30: First Panel
Welcome and introduction to the workshop: Professor Ralf Rogowski
- Professor Ralf Rogowski, School of Law, University of Warwick: The European Employment Strategy: Tensions and opportunities for labour law reform.
- Dr Ewan McGaughey, School of Law, King’s College London: Can the European Employment Strategy get Full Employment? A view from the United Kingdom.
- Professor Guglielmo Meardi and Dr Manuela Galetto, Industrial Relations Research Unit, Warwick Business School: Social dialogue and active inclusion policies in six EU countries.
- Professor Günther Schmid, Free University, Department of Political Science, and WZB, Berlin: Assessing Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reforms in Germany: An Inclusive Perspective.
- Professor Bernard Gazier, University of Paris 1 (Sorbonne) and CNRS: Assessing French Labour Law and Labour Market Reforms.
- Professor Noel Whiteside, Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick: The Novelty of ‘Gig’ Employment: a British comment.
Chair: Riccardo Del Punta
- Assistant Professor Ania Zbyszewska, School of Law, University of Warwick: Assessing Polish Labour Law and Labour Market Reforms.
- Professor Riccardo Del Punta, Department of Law, University of Florence: An Assessment of Labour Law and Labour Market Reforms in Italy.
- Professor Carol Rasnic, Virginia Commonwealth University: Assessing Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reforms in the US.
- Professor Alan Neal, School of Law, University of Warwick: Assessing Labour Law Reform in Armenia.
Chair: Ralf Rogowski
This event is free but booking is essential. For reservations please contact firstname.lastname@example.org