Academic Statement: Proposals on the EU-Mercosur Association Agreement and the Environment (8 February 2021)
This statement makes practical proposals to address serious environmental issues raised by the EU-Mercosur Association Agreement (EUMAA). It was developed by an interdisciplinary group of academic experts.
The EUMAA fails to adequately address issues of climate change and environmental degradation, both in the EU and the Mercosur countries, which poses an unprecedented challenge for these regions. It thereby fails to reflect the parties’ climate targets and other environmental commitments, such as the EU Green Deal and the Brazilian national climate policy.
This statement contains concrete proposals on five priority issues which address the current failings and limitations:
1. Addressing deforestation in the Amazon and in other biomes.
2. Combating broader issues of climate change and environmental degradation.
3. Recognising the asymmetry of the trading relationship between the EU and Mercosur and its impacts on the sustainable development of the Mercosur region.
4. Improving the evidence base and consultation arrangements in relation to the environmental impacts of the EUMAA and future agreements.
5. Supporting the environmental efforts of civil society organisations (CSOs).