I hold a MSc in International Public Policy from UCL and have previously worked in international trade, corporate social responsibility and sustainability in South Korea.
My doctoral research examines climate-induced displacement, migration and everyday resilience in Myanmar, through the lens of gender. I have framed my research in Myanmar in terms of everydayness, focusing on continuity rather than rupture alone. I’m particularly interested in the constant and complex negotiation of gendered roles and the sustained process of reconstruction of rhythms in individuals and wider society.
- 2020-2021: Associate tutor for PO203 Politics of International Development, Department of Politics and International Studies (PAIS)
- 2020: Associate tutor for IB1470 Management of Global Risks, Warwick Business School
- 2019-2020: Associate tutor for PO107 Introduction to Politics, Department of Politics and International Studies (PAIS)
- Baek, C-A. (2021) Cyclone Nargis and Displacement: Sensing the Places. Oxford Monitor of Forced Migration, 10(1): 163-167.
- Xie, K., Baek, C.A. and Cheve, G. (2019) Toolkit for Integrating a Gender-Sensitive Approach into Research and Checklist for Preparing the Gender Equality Statement for Grant Applications to UKRI GCRF and Newton Fund Calls. Warwick Interdisciplinary Research Centre for International Development (WICID). DOI: https://doi.org/10.31273/978-0-9934245-8-8
Recent conference papers & presentations
- Zhang, C. and Baek, C-A. (2021) “Crouching Rabbit, Hidden Dragon? Gendering China’s foreign relations in popular geopolitics”, Millennium 2021. 29th October
- Baek, C.A. (2021) “Embodied and sensory narratives of disaster: communicating experiences of 2008 Cyclone Nargis” European International Studies Association (EISA) PEC 2021. 14th September
- Baek, C.A. (2021) “Shifting subjectivities: Gendered everyday lives of Burmese climate-induced migrants”, and “Evaluating the Green Climate Fund (GCF) Adaptation Proposals on Vulnerability and Adaptation Benefits” International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference 2021. 6th - 7th April