In PAIS and at the University of Warwick, we believe that there is a positive obligation to respond to a request for a reference where reasonably requested from a student for employment and/or academic purposes. To ensure the timely completion of references, please note my reference policy below, which applies to all UG, PGT, and PGR requests.
I do not provide references unless you have informed me well in advance that you require a reference. Out of courtesy, and in your own interest, this should be no less than 21 working days from when I would be expected to receive contact from the reference addressee.
Your notification should take the form of an email with the following attachments
- a recent copy of your CV
- a copy of your HEAR statement (available through "myWarwick")
- a rationale for each position sought/degree applied for, which should include
- your motivation for the position/degree
- why you think you are suitable for this position/degree
- what you are bringing to the position/degree
- how this position/degree is going to benefit / influence your future development / career
Please Note: Failure to notify me in good time and with the correct documentation risks seriously undermining the quality of the reference and could result in a missed deadline for the reference submission. Whilst I have a duty of care as an academic to you as a student, a legal duty of care also exists towards the addressee who has sought the reference. Under no circumstances do I provide references for personal tutees who have not attended their personal tutee meeting of the current academic term.