Dr Alexandra Homolar is Associate Professor of International Security. She currently serves as the Director of Research Degrees overseeing the PAIS doctoral program as well as a member of the PAIS senion management team.
Alex is the academic lead of Speaking International Security at Warwick (SISAW) and a convening group member for Warwick's Global Research Priorities - Global Governance (GRP-GG).From 2013-2017, she was the Principal Investigator of the ESRC Future Research Leaders project 'Enemy Addiction: Outsider Threats, Security Frames, and Target Audiences in Contemporary US Security Policy' (ES/K008684/1).
Alex received her Diplom [BA Hons., MA] in Political Science, Law, History, and Empirical Research Methods as well her Dr. phil [PhD] from J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt.
2004-2010. Research Associate. Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (DE).
2009. Lecturer. University of Leicester (UK).
2008. Teaching Associate. King’s College London (DSD) at the British Defence Academy (UK).
2007-2008. Teaching Fellow. University of Birmingham (UK).
2005. Visiting Researcher. Yale University, New Haven (US).
2005. DAAD/AICGS Research Fellow. Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC (US).
Details on Alex's research programme 'Uncertainty, Outsiders, and Crisis in International Security' can be found here. Please click here for a list of Alexandra's publications. She is interested in supervising postgraduate research that relates to the following:
The relationship between security discourse and practice
The politics of crises and uncertainty
US defence and security policy
The nexus between (inter)national security and political economy
- International security governance
RESEARCH GRANTS (recent)
- 09/2016. ISA workshop grant (with B.J. Steele, University of Utah). International Studies Association (US$8,123).
- 01/2016. CARP Collaborative Research Grant [with C. Browning]. Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick (£2,642).
- 12/2013-06/2017. ESRC Future Research Leaders Grant. Economic and Social Research Council, United Kingdom (£238,640).
- 09/2013. Impact Participant Grant. BISA US Foreign Policy Working Group (£1000)
- 04/2013. Research Grant Acceleration Award [with L. Rethel]. Global Research Priorities – Global Governance, University of Warwick (£2,500).
- 11/2012. CARP Collaborative Research Grant [with L. Rethel]. Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick (£1,139).
- 08/2012 - 07/2013. University of Warwick Strategic Award [with M.N. MacDonald, S.Schnurr, and L. Rethel] (£20,000).
Alexandra has developed and convened the following modules:
International Security (PO 231)
Critical Security Studies (PO 381)
Room: E1.20 (Social Sciences)
Tel: 024765 24142
Advice and Feedback Hours:
Terms 1 & 2 only:
Mon 8.30-9.30 (AM)
Mon 16.30-17.30 (PM)