I'm afraid that I currently don't have any capacity to agree to new PhD supervisions; I'm happy to be approached with projects with a start date of 2024 or later.
Please note that I am based in a Department of Politics and International Studies. This means I can only supervise projects that fall within this disciplinary remit; unfortunately many Islamic finance-related project proposals that I receive don't (they are great projects, but the disciplinary fit just does not work). All PhD candidates in PAIS have to undergo the same process to upgrade from MPhil to PhD registration and your work will be assessed by a panel comprised of Politics/Political Science/International Relations scholars.
- Women's Everyday Lives in the Expanding Malaysian Economy
- The International Political Economy of Passive Investment
- Make/Hack the Bank! The Political Economy of FinTech
- Capital markets with Chinese characteristics: Exchanges, state capitalism & China’s integration into the global financial order
- Impact Bonds and the Ambiguous Politics of Market Ethics
Interpreting Global Norms in Southeast Asia: the Case of the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR)
- A Historical Institutionalist Approach to Asian Financial Regionalism: A Case Study of the Making of Japan’s Regional Financial Cooperation Policies, 1997-2017
- Contested Foreign Policy. Understanding Indonesia’s Regional and Global Roles
- Issuing Fatwas in the Name of the State: Reshaping Co-optation through Religious Decrees in Singapore
- Ordinary Democracy. Reading Resistances to Debt After the Global Financial Crisis With Stanley Cavell’s Ordinary Language Philosophy - WINNER OF THE 2018 ECPR JEAN BLONDEL THESIS PRIZE
- The Condition of Market Emergence in Indonesia: Coloniality as Exclusion and Translation
- Cross-Strait Relations in the Process of Economic Integration: Same Game, But Different Logic
- Understanding and Explaining Deviant Autocracies: The Cases of Hong Kong and Singapore
- Financial Stability and Central Bank Power: A Comparative Perspective