Conference venue: The conference will take place in the Social Studies Building (Number 53/63 on the map below) of Warwick University
The University of Warwick is located 3 miles outside of Coventry (not in Warwick).
University of Warwick,
Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Tel: +44 (0)24 7652 3523
Fax: +44 (0)24 7646 1606
How to get here:
There are two options to chosse from when travelling by train:
1) The nearest rail station for the University is Coventry. Coventry Station is easily reached from London (Euston), Birmingham (New Street) and Leicester, all of which run regular and frequent services direct to Coventry. From there, take the outside steps by the carpark to the bus stop on the Rail Bridge. Take the West Midlands services bus number 12 or 12A to the main campus of Warwick University. Buses go about every 15 minutes and the cost is around 1.50 pounds. The journey time is about 15 minutes. The Stagecoach services X10 and X12 also travel along Warwick road and onto the Central Campus. Taxis are also available from outside of the station.
2) Leamington Spa Railway station. From there, cross the road and walk past the old pub on the corner. The bus stop is easy to see and anyone can direct you. From the bus stop you can take a bus number 12 or a U1 bus to the University. These buses are frequent and cost approx. two pounds return. The buses travel up the Parade which is Leamington's main high street, and then on to the University. The bus journey time is around 40 minutes.
(a) From the North
From the M69/M6 interchange (M6 Jct 2) take A46 towards Warwick and Coventry S & E.
After approximately 3.5 miles you will reach Tollbar End roundabout (junction with A45). At the roundabout, follow signs for A45 Birmingham.
After approximately 3 miles you will cross the A429 (Kenilworth Road). half a mile after this juncion take the left-hand turn signposted 'University of Warwick'. Follow signs for University of Warwick (and Warwick Arts Centre) across two roundabouts. You are now approaching the University of Warwick from Kirby Corner Road.
(B) From the South East
From M45 Jct 1 take A45 towards Coventry.
After approximately 7 miles you will reach Tollbar End roundabout (junction with A46) follow signs for A45 Birmingham.
Now follow directions as for arriving from the North
(C) From the South
From M40 Jct 15 take A46 towards Coventry.
After approximately 8 miles leave A46 at junction signposted 'University of Warwick and Stoneleigh.'
After a further 1.5 miles you will cross the A429 (Kenilworth Road). You are now approaching the University of Warwick from Gibbet Hill Road.
(D) From the West
From M42 Jct 6 take A45 towards Coventry.
After approximately 9 miles you will pass a large Sainsbury store on your left. At the next roundabout (Fire Station on right) take the right-hand exit, signposted 'University and Canley'.
Follow signs for University of Warwick (and Warwick Arts Centre) across two roundabouts. You are now approaching the University of Warwick from Kirby road corner.
If you are travelling by coach, the most convenient major centre is Coventry which is well served by national links. Once you have arrived in Coventry, there are frequent local bus services to the University. Details of coach travel can be obtained from GoByCoach.com.
(a) From the Coventry City Centre: The Travel Coventry services 12 and 12A (which display the destination, University of Warwick or Leamington) run from the city centre bus station, Pool Meadow, out to the University Central Campus passing the Westwood campus en route (travel time approx. 25 mins).
*Timetable information for West Midland service number 12 can be found at Travel Coventry
*Stagecoach also provides a service that passes the University. The Unibus (U1) is a dedicated frequent bus service to Leamington and Sydenham that passes through campus. There is a second version of this route that passes through Kenilworth and is named the U2. For information on this service, please visit the Stagecoach website.
(b) From the train station: Visitors should follow the signs from the station to Warwick Road (a 2 minute walk) and from there catch the Travel Coventry services 12/12A or U1 (see above) which travel onto the main campus. The Stagecoach service U1 travels along Warwick Road and onto the Central Campus.
* It is also possible to catch the Travel Coventry number 42 which goes to Cannnon Park Shopping Centre which is a 5-10 minute walk from central campus.
The Stagecoach service X17 runs from the city centre, passing the junction of Gibbet Hill Road and Kenilworth Road. The entrance to the Gibbet Hill campus is about 5 minute's walk from this bus stop. The Central Campus can also be reached from this site by following the campus footpath, which takes about 10 mins.
The Travel Coventry route 801 travels from the University to Cheylesmore, Binley and Walsgrave Hospital via Finham, Whitley and Willenhall
- Travel Coventry buses do not usually give change so make sure you have the correct money available before making your journey. You can find information about fares on the Travel Coventry website but it is best to check with the driver when you board the bus.
- Stagecoach buses do give change on the majority of their services.
- If you are unsure about which service you require and you would like assistance - you can call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 where staff will be able to assist with planning your journey.
- Details of timetables and other routes can be obtained from University House reception leaflet racks.
Leave Coventry Station using the footpath from platform 1 which runs on the right had side of the tracks under the Warwick Road bridge. Cross the car park and take the path between JJB Sports and the ramp of the high level shared pedestrian/cyclist bridge.
Travel by bike from Coventry Railway Station:
From here there are two recommended routes:
- Use the bridge to cross the railway lines and continue on the cycle track. There's a fence on the left and Spencer Park on the right. At the end of the track cross Spencer Avenue into Dalton Road. Turn right into Broadway, then take the first left into Belvedere Road. At the end turn right then first left into Warwick Avenue. Cross Beechwood Avenue into Stoneleigh Avenue. Turn right into Kenilworth Road. The traffic on this road is rather cycle unfriendly, riders may care to use the pavement - which is legal at this point.
- Continue to the A45 and cross it. Note there are no cycle facilities at this junction and the traffic signals have no pedestrian phase. Join the cycle track on the right hand side of the road (Kenilworth Road). Take the first right into Cannon Hill Road. Take the left at the top of a slope on a bend onto a segregated cycle track and footpath adjoining Cannon Park School. At the end turn right onto Bransford Avenue. At the end of Bransford Avenue turn right onto DeMontford Way, then first left at the roundabout into Lynchgate Road.
- Take the first right (opposite Coat Of Arms Bridge Road) through a wooded area (Canley Ford - quiet but a bit muddy in wet weather). After using the Toucan crossing to cross the A45, turn right into the small road parallel to the A45. Turn left up the slope (Cannon Hill Road). Turn right into Ivy Farm Road. Follow the road to the restricted access cycle/footpath which leads to Tesco's Cannon Park.
- Turn left into Westminster Road (right is Grosvenor Link Road, while straight on has a cycle lane marked with red asphalt). Turn right at the end of Westminster Road, left into Queens Road (passing Aardvark Pub on right), left into Gordon St., first right into Brunswick St. At T junction turn left into Albany Road. Continue (over small roundabout with clock in the middle) into Earlsdon St. Up the gentle slope to the junction with Beechwood Ave. Turn left then first right into Bates Road, follow the sharp turn to the right at the bottom of the slope into The Riddings. Pass between bollards at the end, turning left into Canley Road. At A45, turn left and continue to Toucan crossing (possibly using the pavement on the side - which is legal at this point). After using the Toucan crossing continue as in '2' above.
The distance between Coventry railway station and the University is about 3.5 miles