I work on issues in the philosophy of mind and action and epistemology. Two main interests are: the role of perceptual experience in providing for perceptual knowledge, and the nature of self-knowledge. In both areas, I’m particularly interested in how we should think about the relation and interaction between the various ‘disciplines’ that have a stake in them: the philosophy of mind and epistemology; philosophy and psychology; commonsense epistemology and philosophical epistemology. Related areas of interest include: intentional action and its explanation; causal understanding; the development of a ‘theory of mind’; knowledge of other minds; skepticism and transcendental arguments; understanding delusions; Kant.
I came to Warwick as a research fellow in the AHRC interdisciplinary project on Consciousness and Self-Consciousness. I was subsequently co-director of the Warwick-based interdisciplinary project on Causal Understanding, and an associated partner of NormCon (Understanding the Normative Dimensions of Human Conduct: Conceptual and Developmental Issues). I'm a member of Second Person project at Warwick, and I'm co-directing two projects: one (with Glenda Satne, Santiago) on 'Joint Practical Knowledge: Shared Agency and Knowledge of Other Minds', and one (with Gianfranco Soldati, Fribourg) on Perception, Rationality and Self-Knowledge.
I'm secretary of the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology, and an Associate Editor of Philosophical Explorations.
I'm happy to take on PhD students working on issues in the philosophy of mind and action, philosophy of psychology, and epistemology. Recent PhD theses I supervised include:
Experience, action and affordance perception
A defence of a deflationary theory of self-deception
Philosophical reflections on the nature of psychosis
Desire and value in practical reasoning
The Relation Between Attention and Awareness in Visual Experience
J. Roessler & N. Eilan (eds.), Agency and Self-Awareness: Issues in Philosophy and Psychology. Oxford: OUP. 2003.
N. Eilan, C. Hoerl, T. McCormack and J.Roessler (eds.), Joint Attention: Communication and Other Minds. Oxford: OUP. 2005.
J. Roessler, N. Eilan and H. Lerman (eds.), Perception, Causation, and Objectivity: Issues in Philosophy and Psychology. Oxford: OUP. 2011.
Articles and Reviews
- 'Practical knowledge and testimony', forthcoming in R. Teichmann (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Elizabeth Anscombe
- 'Plural practical knowledge', Inquiry 2020
- Review of Michael Ayers, Knowing and Seeing: Groundwork for a New Empiricism. Mind 129 (2020)
- 'The manifest and the philosophical image of perceptual knowledge', in F. Stadler & C. Limbeck-Lilienau (eds.), The Philosophy of Perception and Observation: Proceedings of the 40th International Wittgenstein Symposium. 2019.
- 'Pro-Social Cognition: helping, practical reasons, and "theory of mind"' (with Josef Perner), Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 2015 (special issue on the development of normative understanding, ed. by Glenda Satne)
- 'Self-Knowledge and Communication', Philosophical Explorations 18, 2015 (special issue on Self-Knowledge in Perspective', ed. by Fleur Jongepier and Derek Strijbos)
- 'Thinking, Inner Speech, and Self-Awareness', Review of Philosophy and Psychology 2015 (in a special issue on Voices and Thoughts in Schizophrenia, ed. by Sam Wilkinson and B. Alderson-Day)
- 'Reason explanation and the second-person perspective', Philosophical Explorations 2014 (special issue on the second person)
- Review of D. Bakhurst et al (eds.), Thinking about Reasons: Themes from the Philosophy of Jonathan Dancy. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
- 'The Epistemic Role of Intentions', Proceedings of the Aristotelan Society 2012-13
- 'Competition as rational action: Why young children can't appreciate competitive games' (with Beate Priewasser and Josef Perner), Journal of Experimental Child Psychology 2013.
- 'Teleology: Belief as Perspective' (with Josef Perner), forthcoming in S. Baron-Cohen et al. (eds.), Understanding Other Minds, 3rd edition.
- 'Knowledge, Explanation and Teleology', Oxford Studies in Epistemology 4, 2013.
- 'The Silence of Self-Knowledge', Philosophical Explorations 2013
- 'Thought insertion, self-awareness and rationality', Oxford Handbook of the Philosophy of Psychiatry. Oxford: OUP. 2013)
- 'From infants' to children's appreciation of belief' (with Josef Perner) Trends in Cognitive Sciences 16, 2012. available here
- 'Introduction', N. Eilan, H. Lerman and J. Roessler (eds.), Perception, Causation and Objectivity. Oxford: OUP. 2011
- 'Causation in Commonsense Realism', N. Eilan, H. Lerman and J. Roessler (eds.), Perception, Causation and Objectivity. Oxford: OUP. 2011
- 'Perceptual Attention and the Space of Reasons', in Attention: Philosophical and Psychological Issues. Edited by Christopher Mole, Declan Smithies, and Wayne Wu. Oxford: OUP. 2011
- ‘Perceptual causality, counterfactuals, and special causal concepts’, in Understanding Counterfactuals and Causation: Issues in Philosophy and Psychology. Edited by Christoph Hoerl and Teresa McCormack. Oxford: OUP. 2011.
- ‘Teleology and causal understanding in children’s theory of mind’ (with Josef Perner), in J. Aguilar & A.A. Buckareff (Eds.), Causing Human Action: New Perspectives on the Causal Theory of Action. Cambridge, MA: Bradford Book, The MIT Press. 2010
- ‘Agents’ knowledge’,in A Companion to the Philosophy of Action, edited by Timothy O'Connor and Constantine Sandis. Oxford: Blackwell. 2010
- 'Critical Notice of Lucy O'Brien, Self-Knowing Agents', Philosophical Books 50, 2009
- ‘Perceptual experience and perceptual knowledge’, Mind 118, 2009
- ‘Joint Attention and the Problem of Other Minds’, in N. Eilan, C. Hoerl, T. McCormack, J. Roessler (eds.), Joint Attention, Oxford University Press, 2004
- ‘Intentional Action and Self-Awareness’, in J. Roessler & N. Eilan (eds.), Agency and Self-Awareness, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- ‘Action, Emotion, and the Development of Self-awareness’, European Review of Philosophy 5, 2002, pp. 33-52.
- ‘Understanding Delusions of Alien Control’, Philosophy, Psychiatry and Psychology 8, 2001, pp. 177-187.
- ‘Attention and the Self’, Journal of Consciousness Studies, 2000, pp. 78-84.
- ‘Perception , Introspection and Attention’, European Journal of Philosophy, 1999, pp. 47-64.