Associate Professor and Director of Student Experience and Progression (DSEP) for the philosophy department. I am a Senior Fellow of HEA (SFHEA).
My research interests are in Philosophy of Poetry, Aesthetics, Moral Reasoning and the Emotions. I am working on issues around the value of reading poetry in terms of how this experience can enhance our understanding of ourselves and contribute to our sense of moral progress. My current focus is on the potential value of the performed poem, which I connect with the idea of shared emotion. You can read more about my research in this interview by Richard Marshall for 3:AM Magazine and listen to an interview by Toby Tremlett for Common Room Philosophy.
Before joining the department in 2014, I was a postdoctoral researcher on the AHRC-funded interdisciplinary project 'the Uses of Poetry', University of Birmingham, where I worked with colleagues from literary studies, psychology and education to investigate the benefits of reading poetry for life-long learning.
- Words, Voices, Bodies: the ethics of writing and performing poetry with Poet in the City
- Poetry and Philosophy Conference with Eileen John
Peer reviewed articles and book chapters
- 'Literary Interventions in Justice' (2021) with Kate Kirkpatrick and Rafe McGregor, Estetika: European Journal of Aesthetics 59 (2)
- 'Listen to me! The moral value of the poetry performance space' (2021) In: English, Lucy and McGowan, Jack, (eds.) Spoken Word in the UK. Routledge.
- 'Reading for self-knowledge: poetry, perspective and narrative justice' (2020) Symposium on Rafe McGregor's Narrative Justice, Journal of Aesthetic Education 54 (4)
- 'Cultivating Intimacy: the use of the second person in lyric poetry' (2019), Philosophy and Literature 43 (2)
- 'New directions for the Philosophy of Poetry' (2019), Philosophy Compass 14 (6) e12593
- 'Teaching and learning guide for new directions for the Philosophy of Poetry' (2019), Philosophy Compass 14 (6) e12610
- 'The Uses of Poetry: Renewing an Educational Understanding of a Language Art' (2017) with Viv Ellis, Journal of Aesthetic Education 51 (1)
- 'Actual Texts, Possible Meanings: The Uses of Poetry and the Subjunctification of Experience' (2016), with Andrew Green and Viv Eillis, The Uses of Poetry, Special Issue of Changing English, vol. 23 (4)
- ‘Affective and Cognitive Responses to Poetry in the University Classroom,' (2016) with Kate Rumbold, The Uses of Poetry, Special Issue of Changing English, vol. 23 (4)
- 'Beyond Narrative: Poetry, Emotion and the Perspectival View' (2015) British Journal of Aesthetics 55 (4).
- 'On the seeming incompatibility between Poetry and Philosophical Inquiry',(2013) Estetika, The Central European Journal of Aesthetics 50 (1).
Special Journal Issues
The Uses of Poetry, special issue of Changing English (2016), guest edited with Kate Rumbold, vol. 23 (4)
Book reviews and review chapters
- 'Freeman's The Poem as Icon' (2021), British Journal of Aesthetics
- 'Affect theory' (2020), The Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory 28: 414-433
- Review of Michael Boylan's Ficitve Narrative Philosophy: How Fiction can act as Philosophy (2019) NDPR
- 'Affect theory' (2019), The Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory 27: 181-200
- 'Affect Theory' (2018), The Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory 26: 205-224
- 'Affect theory' (2017), The Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory 25: 418–435
- 'Bernard Harrison's What is Fiction For? Literary Humanism Restored' (2016), British Journal of Aesthetics 56 (4):424-427.
- 'John Gibson's (ed.) The Philosophy of Poetry,' (2016) British Journal of Aesthetics 56 (3):320-322
- ‘Peter Larkin's Promising Losses: Wordsworth and Coleridge’ (2014), La Questione Romantica 3 (2).
- 'Of Many Voices: A Poetic Gift of Togetherness', essay with a poem by Momtaza Mehri, Poetry Review autumn 2021
- Discussion on 'What's going wrong with modern arts prizes?' for BBC Radio 4 - Front Row, 17th February 2020
- 'Should we treat loneliness with poetry?' (2020), Institute of Art and Ideas, issue 85 (February)
- 'Hearing Meaning and Poetry: In Conversation with Angela Leighton' (2014), PN Review 215, vol. 40 (3).
Tel: 024 7652 4321
Drop in times (for Advice and Feedback) TBC
Philosophy in Education (co-taught with Dr Emma Williams)
Issues in Contemporary Aesthetics
The Kingsley School, 2018
Harris Academy, 2019