I am passionate about teaching, and teach or have taught on the following modules at the University of Warwick:
- Transnational Media Ecologies (UG - SO341/PG SO9C9)
- Politics and Social Theory (SO945 - MA/PhD)
- Death, Sovereignty & Power in the (Post) Colony (SO9B1 MA/PhD)
- PhD Sociology: Research Process and Research Design
PhD Supervision and Examination
I have been supervising doctoral candidates in the areas of critical theory; (post) colonial and decolonial theory and praxis; religion and (post) secularism; and critical race, gender and whiteness studies. I welcome PhD proposals related to the research areas mentioned on my profile page. I have served as an internal examiner at the University of Warwick, and an external examiner for PhDs at the University of Otago (New Zealand), and the following Australian Universities: University of Western Australia, University of South Australia, and Curtin University.
Current PhD Supervision
- Somia Bibi - Racialised Beauty: British South Asian Women and their Lived Experiences (Co-Supervision with Dr. Lynne Pettinger)
- Piermarco Piu - The Postcolonial Reception of Gramsci (Co-Supervision with Professor Gurminder Bhambra)
Completed PhD Projects
- Dr. Reva Yunus - Inscriptions of (In) Equality: interrogating texts and practices in an Indian classroom (2018) (Co-Supervised with Dr. Cath Lambert)
- Dr. Elaine Laforteza - Bearing Witness to Whiteness: Lightening/Darkening the Philippine/Australian Nexus (2012) Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- Dr. Christina Petterson - The Missionary, The Hunter and the Catechist: Governmentality and Masculinities in Greenland (2011) Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia