Reg. 1 Departmental Management Structures
***Amendments to Regulation 1 were last approved by Senate on 26 January 2022 and noted by Council on 9 February 2022, with changes taking immediate effect (post Senate approval). A further minor amendment was approved by Senate Chair's Action on 28 February 2022***
Regulations Governing Departmental Management Structures
(1) The Vice-Chancellor has nominated the Provost as the individual to whom Heads of Departments will be responsible in the first instance.
(2) The Head of Department will be responsible for the following:
(a) academic management of all departmental programmes
(b) strategy and planning of the academic and support functions
(c) effective financial management including allocation and deployment of resources within procedures set out in the University’s Financial Regulations
(d) management of all staff to ensure the proper execution of their duties within procedures and policies approved from time to time by the University
(e) development of all staff through promotion or performance management systems as approved from time to time by Council
(f) promotion of the University’s commitment to equal opportunities and its statutory obligations under anti-discrimination legislation
(g) other statutory and compliance responsibilities
(h) other duties as outlined in the Head of Department job description.
(3) The Head of Department will appoint a management group to advise them. Members of the management group will be responsible to the Head of Department. The Head will determine the structure of the management groups and methods of appointing members.
(4) The Head of Department will normally appoint a Deputy who will be a member of the management group. The Head will determine the methods of appointing the Deputy to meet the particular needs and circumstances of the departments.
(5) The Head of Department may delegate defined areas of responsibility to the Deputy, members of a management group, other members of department and in general determine the administrative and management structures and processes within the department. Where the Head delegates defined tasks they will be responsible for ensuring appropriate mechanisms are in place for the proper execution of these duties.
(6) The Head of Department will publish details of departmental management structures and decision-making procedures.
(7) Each Department will have an agreed forum for engaging and consulting with all staff which will normally meet at least once a term on dates agreed in advance. One extraordinary meeting of this forum a term will be called if requested by at least one-third of the members of the Department. For all such meetings formal agenda and papers will normally be published in advance and formal minutes will be kept.
(8) Each Department:
(a) will appoint members to the appropriate University Committees and working groups and to such other bodies as the Department may be represented on from time to time.
(b) will establish machinery, including a Student Staff Liaison Committee, to facilitate consultation with students about syllabus matters and other details relating to the courses they are studying.
(c) may pass resolutions on any other matter for consideration at an appropriate Faculty Education Committee or Board of Faculty.