Ordinance on the Procedure for the Appointment of Members of the Council Appointed by the Senate
(1) The Senate may appoint up to four academic members of the Senate and one member of the non-academic staff of the University to membership of the Council.
(2) Members of the Council appointed by the Senate shall hold office for a period of three years commencing on the first day of August in the year in which they are appointed and may be appointed for further periods of three years. After holding office for six consecutive years a member appointed by the Senate shall not be eligible for appointment until after one further year.
(3) All members of the Senate will be invited to suggest names of Senate members for consideration for appointment to membership of the Council. Such suggestions should be submitted in writing to the Registrar for transmission to the Senate.
(4) If the number of nominations for academic members of staff received and transmitted to the Senate is equal to or less than the number of vacancies to be filled, the person or persons nominated will be deemed elected.
(5) If the number of nominations received for academic members of staff and transmitted to the Senate exceed the number of vacancies to be filled a secret ballot shall be held among the members present at the meeting, the candidate or candidate(s) receiving the highest number of votes being elected.
(6) Any non-academic member of University staff may suggest names of non-academic members of staff for appointment to membership of the Council. Such suggestions should be submitted in writing to the Registrar for transmission to the Nominations Committee for consideration. The Nominations Committee will bring forward to the Senate for consideration a nomination for appointment of a non-academic member of University Staff to the Council.