The University of Warwick actively encourages all staff and students with a disability to make themselves known and are encouraged to complete an independent assessment, which will determine the level of assistance which may be required for safe evacuation of a building in an emergency..
If you feel that you need a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) the Independent Assessment Tool will help the University identify the appropriate emergency response requirements and the assistance you may require.
Please click on the relevant link below to start your independant assessment:.
Once you have completed independant assessment a member of the University Team will be in touch, to discuss the next steps. If its found that you need a PEEP then we will arrange for the University Fire Safety Advisor and your Local Disability Coordinator to meet with you and look at the resources available to support you out of a building in an emergency.
- Add the University’s emergency number in your mobile phone – 024765 22222;
- Always be prepared to move away from immediate danger – visible smoke and flames, for example;
- If you think that the speed at which you are able to leave the building may have the potential to cause you injury as other people pass you more quickly in corridors and on stairways, or that you do not want to feel pressured to move more quickly then give consideration to waiting until those moving at a quicker speed have passed before continuing your evacuation;
- Make your first objective to get a fire door between you and the incident
- When on the upper floors of a building, move into a stairwell enclosure remote from the incident;
- You will only be evacuated if it is judged to be necessary by Security Services, in consultation with the Fire and Rescue Service.
The buildings which make up the University’s estate are equipped with a number of fire safety provisions that will support your safe egress and give you time to respond in the event of an emergency.
Disabled Refuge Points are designated areas within our buildings where in the event of a fire. These areas are designed specifically for evacuation, whereby Security can access you to evacuate you from the building. Refuge points will provide a minimum protection of 30 minutes. To know where your nearest refuge point is, you can serach via the interactive map.