Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Section 6 - Information regarding keys

What is the current process for collecting my accommodation keys?
Arrival to campus

If you are arriving at the beginning of the academic year during our main arrivals period, there are separate arrival and key collection instructions which are available once you complete the online accommodation induction sent to you in early September time.

If you are a new arrival to campus halls after our dedicated arrival days and arrive during the Student Information Centre opening hours then we will check you into your new home. We can also issue your ID card to you if you have not previously collected it.

If you find your arrival time will be after we have closed then please email us 48 hours in advance of your arrival date to confirming your full name and ID number, making us aware of your out-of-hours arrival date, we will then send your room key to the Community Safety Hub for collection.

Please make sure you have a photo ID with you in both instances.

Can I arrange for a friend to collect my accommodation keys for me?

I'm afraid not. As you are the contract owner for the accommodation, the keys need to be signed for and collected by you

Lost your room key? or Left your room key in your room?

Between 9 am and 5 pm, Mon-Thurs and 9 am to 4pm on Friday, please go to your Residence Hub and they will let back into your room if you have left your key inside your room. They can also replace a key if you have lost it during these times.

The Student Information Centre during our opening hours also issues replacement keys if they have been lost and after the Residence Hub closes, they will issue a replacement if your room key has been left in your room.

If you require a replacement once the Student Information Centre has closed please visit Community Safety Hub

If you require a spare key, please bring a photographic I.D. with you.

If you are issued with a replacement key, please make sure the 'old' key is returned to either your residence hub or the Student Information Centre, Senate House so that we can make a conscious effort to reuse them.


On-campus room showing red lights before opening what should I do?

The battery on your bedroom door is running low and therefore will need to be changed before it expires. Please inform the Student Information Centre (Ground Floor Senate House) 024 7652 2280 who will then report this to the Estates Maintenance Team.

My on-campus key is not opening my room what should I do?

Inform the Student Information Centre (Ground Floor Senate House) 024 7652 2280 who will then report this to the Estates Maintenance Team. If it happens outside office hours call the Student Information Centre (or Community Safety Officers on 024 765 22083 if the Student Information Centre has closed) and they will contact the out-of-hours contractor. The contractor does have a 4-hour call-out policy.

If I am leaving my accommodation outside of Student Information Centre opening hours, where shall I leave my key?

You can complete a key return envelope and leave your keys via our drop box located on the front of Senate House.