Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Fire Safety

Top Fire Safety Tips For Students

Fire safety top tips

When living on campus or in rented off campus housing, you need to know how to keep your home fire safe. It can take less than 30 seconds for a small flame to turn into a major fire – don’t put yourself and your housemates at risk.

Please follow the necessary fire safety precautions:

1. Never leave cooking unattended

Always make sure there is somebody in the kitchen when cooking equipment is being used – unattended cooking is the number one cause of fires and fire alarm activations. Make sure you also clean grill trays as any residual fat deposits are highly flammable.

2. Avoid using candles or incense and smoking inside

This includes electronic cigarette devices. You can make use of our designated smoking areas outside.

3. Keep fire doors closed

This is especially important when cooking, showering, and/or using aerosol sprays. Make sure the fire exit is clear.

4. Do not interfere with any fire detection equipment

The sensitivity of fire alarms in student accommodation may be higher than you are used to at home, but it is there wholly for your safety.

5. Pay attention to electrical safety advice

Always turn electrics off when not in use, always use the manufacturer’s charger with your equipment, and avoid overloading plug sockets.

6. E-scooters and e-bikes must not be charged on campus

Voltages and chargers for these items may not be compatible with our electricity outlets and it is important to keep a clear passageway to all emergency exits so never block a fire escape route with these items, or any others.

If you follow these rules, we can collectively minimise the chances of a fire. However, accidents can still happen, and it is very important that you are familiar with the procedure should a fire break out in your building.

Click here for more information about life in halls