Skip to main content

EEA Nationals

EEA nationals (including Swiss nationals) and their family members who are currently studying, or, are applying to study at the University of Warwick, can find useful information about their right to study following Brexit here.

This page is intended to signpost students, applicants and offer-holders to various internal and external resources.

News and updates:

21 December 2018: A new statement of changes to the Immigration Rules was laid on 20 December 2018, and the Home Office announced that this would enable the EU Settlement Scheme to be rolled out to public test phase from 21 January 2019.

The government also published two seperate agreements on the rights of Swiss and Icelanic/Norwegian/Liechtensteinian nationals, to enable them to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

19 December 2018: The Home Secretary announced a new skill-based Immigration system post-Brexit. You can find more information on the White Paper (a policy document that set out the government's proposals for future legislation and provide a basis for further consultation to allow final changes before a Bill is formally presented to Parliament). The new immigration system is expected to be implemented from 2021. For now, we have been assured by the Home Office policy team that there is no intention to wind up the Tier 4 Pilot Scheme in advance of the 2019/20 academic year.

6 December 2018: The government published a plan for the rights of EU citizens living in the UK: Policy Paper on citizens' rights in the event of a no deal Brexit. EU students who are currently studying at Warwick will have their rights protected and will just need to apply for either a 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status before the end of 2020. The EU Settlement Scheme itself is expected to be generous and user-friendly, with case-workers “looking to grant status, not for reasons to refuse”.

20 November 2018: UKCISA pulished a blog written by a University of Liverpool student adviser sharing her experience of applying under the EU settlement scheme (first stage testing).

1 November 2018: UKCISA published a Brexit flyer for students which outlines the anticipated fees status and legal status of EU and non-EU EEA students from 2019.

29 October 2018: The Government has announced that a second pilot for the roll out of the EU Settlement Scheme will be open to EU staff at all HEIs registered as Tier 4 sponsors (this includes the University of Warwick) from 15 November 2018. It is open to EU staff members only (those on monthly payroll from H.R. including those on STP, but not employees of Unitemps or Warwick SU). Staff members should refer to the Brexit Guidance for Staff page for more information.

It is anticipated that Warwick students will be eligible to apply for pre-settled status or settled status from March 2019 when the scheme is open to the general public. More guidance will be available nearer the time. More information is available via

30 July 2018: A Statement of Change to Immigration Rules was published on 25 July 2018 with the insertion of a new section, called Appendix EU, catering for the settled status registration scheme for EU citizens. Appendix EU comes into force on 28 August 2018, but only for applicants from 15 hospitals and universities in the north west of England (by invitation only). It is expected that the application system will be tested over the coming months and the Home Office expects it to be fully open in time for nominal Brexit in March 2019.

5 July 2018: The funding bodies in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, have all given reassurances to EU nationals about continuing student finance eligibility for those already on courses. Read more on UKCISA webpage.

21 June 2018: On Thursday 21 June, the Home Office Minister Caroline Nokes made a statement and provided further details about the EU settlement scheme. This will provide the basis for EU citizens resident here, and their family members, to obtain their new UK immigration status, consistent with the draft withdrawal agreement. More information can be found in the EU Settlement Scheme document. Following this, rules are expected to be laid in July 2018 with further details.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I'm a student from the EU/EEA, do I need Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI)?

Yes. Untill the UK leaves the European Union on 29 March 2019, it is a requirement that EU/EEA students and their family members have CSI (unless they are also considered as a 'worker'). You should, where possible, obtain a EHIC card before you leave your home country. However, the UK government has also announced that, for those becoming a UK resident prior to 29 March 2019, when you apply under the 'EU Settlement Scheme', you are not required to show evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance because the UK has decided, as a matter of domestic policy, that the main requirement for eligibility will be continuous residence in the UK.

We would advise that you read more on the webpage of UKCISA regarding EEA Students and CSI.

2. Can Immigration Service team help me apply for a UK residence card?

The Immigration Service team is not currently offering face-to-face appointments for applications of a UK residence card but this service is commercially available by many solicitors' firms.

Due to the requirement to apply under the 'EU Settlement Scheme', there is not much point in applying for a UK residence card at this point.

The Immigration Service team will update this webpage with the latest development with regard to 'EU Settlement Scheme' and notify current students what support is available from our team from January 2019.

Useful information can be found on various websites:


GOV website:

GOV website:


Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association (if you are looking for representation):

Brexit FAQ

(By British Council, July 2018)

EU Settlement Scheme (information for employers but gives a good overview)