Promotion & Reward
Chairs: Jane Bryan, David Lees
WIE Team Link: Michael Scott
Members: Amy Stickels, Anne-Marie Broomhall, Christopher Strelluf, David Coates, Deepak Parashar, Elisabeth Blagrove, Ian Tuersley, Kerry Dobbins, Kerry Kirwan, Leti Gramaglia, Martine Barons, Naomi de la Tour, Nicholas Jackson, Paul Blagburn, Sarah Richardson, Sarah Wilson, Stefania Paredes Fuentes.
Achievements January - July 2021
The group has met three times and established a working link with the WIHEA Teaching Recognition & Reward learning circle to create a broader "Learning Sphere".
Our work to date has been focussed on the sourcing of examples of promotions case studies for those using Impact, Outreach and/or Engagement work as part of their evidence. We have produced a review of this information and delivered our recommendations for an updated set of promotions criteria to be used in the 21/22 round - this has now been accepted and we're hugely proud of this achievement.
Ambitions into 2022
Moving forward our work will focus on the following areas:
- Produce a position paper explaining why an expansion of Impact, Outreach and Engagement (IOE) bands is needed. This will consider the banding for IOE (currently 1-6, compared to 1-8 for Teaching/Research);
- Provide workshops/support in the area of IOE for those seeking promotion and senior managers;
- Evaluate the impact of the criteria for IOE for those on different contracts (Research Focused / Teaching Focused / Research and Teaching Focused);
- Address university/departmental culture on IOE activities;
- Look at further recognition for participation in IOE activities (awards, merit pay, study leave etc.);
- Consider what role students may play in the process.