Chairs: Rachel Edwards, WIE Associate Academic Director, and Michael Scott, WIE Academic Director
WIE Team Link: James Brown
Members: Alex Baker, Ian Tuersley, Anthony Avery, Susie Carr, Saskia Bakker, Roberta Wooldridge Smith, Ian Hands-Portman, Sophie Staniszewska, Amanda Bishop, Ally Caldecote, Martine Barons, David Coates, James Poskett Gala Dalgety, plus representatives from the STEM GC central team.
Achievements January - July 2021
This learning circle has met 6 times, acting as STEM Grand Challenge Public Engagement workstream. We have commissioned two reports:
- Penny Fidler was appointed to undertake research and market mapping to obtain an overview of the best UK and international engagement spaces
- Steve Mills from Decision House has done a demographic mapping of the hyperlocal (within 45 minutes walk), local (20 minutes drive / 45 minutes public transport) and regional (45 minutes drive / 75 minutes public transport) areas.
Our Report for an International Hub of Excellence for Public Engagement in STEM was submitted in June 2021 to the STEM Grand Challenge Programme Executive Group. This has been approved and is now being submitted to University Council as part of the STEM Grand Challenge proposal and business case.
Ambitions into 2022
We are now moving forward to a detailed costing process with the project architects and we're working with the Development Office to have the STEM Grand Challenge Public Engagement proposal taken up as a Fundraising Project.
- LC1: Staff Engagement Training
- LC2: New Skills of Engagement
- LC3: Guide to Promoting Events and Event Management
- LC4: Evaluation and Assessment of PE Projects
- LC5: Supporting Public Engagement elements of Staff Research/Teaching Funding Bids
- LC6: Student Training in Public Engagement (UG and PG)
- LC7: Developing a Pedagogy of Public Engagement
- LC8: Development of Best Practice for Talking to Different Audience Groups
- LC9: Promotion and Impact, Outreach and Engagement Review
- LC10: EUTOPIA Public Engagement Strategy Development
- LC11: Co-Producing Research and Collaborating with Communities
- LC12: Developing an Inclusive Engagement approach
- LC13: The Future of Engagement in Higher Education
- LC14: STEM Grand Challenge