We are working with Coventry City Council (CCC) to make improvements to local roads and junctions and to make roads around the campus safer. These changes were agreed in 2009 as part of our campus Masterplan development and form part of our planning obligations to the local councils.
These works have been scheduled to take place over the summer, when traffic will be lighter, and will commence on 23 June with temporary traffic signals on Gibbet Hill Road. The nature of the works mean that Gibbet Hill Road, from the Scarman Roundabout to the Bluebell Roundabout at Leighfield Road, will need to be closed, to all normal traffic, from 30 June until the works are completed in October.
What's going to happen?
The works will include:
- Installing a new roundabout at the junction between University Road and Gibbet Hill Road by the Arts Centre. This will require realignment of University Road to connect the roundabout and bus interchange to the existing University Road, providing an extra two-way entry and exit onto main campus from Gibbet Hill Road.
- Library Road will be permanently closed at its junction with Gibbet Hill Road and will only be accessible to service vehicles or disabled drivers from University Road from 30 June onward. It will be 2-way for the small number of vehicles allowed.
- Traffic calming measures including a raised granite table next to Radcliffe House and a 20mph speed zone between Benefactors and Scarman House.
- Reducing the width of the arms of the Scarman Road/Gibbet Hill Road/University Road roundabout to improve safety and pedestrian access.
- Constructing a right turn lane into Gibbet Hill campus.
- Changing the Gibbet Hill Road/ Kenilworth Road/Stoneleigh Road junction to a roundabout. There will be pelican crossings on both Kenilworth Road and Gibbet Hill road near the roundabout.
Will buses be affected?
Whilst Gibbet Hill Road is closed, buses will take alternative routes through campus but we don't expect there to be significant changes to the existing bus timetables.
There will be additional, temporary bus stops in place, on the opposite side of University Road to current:
- Near the Arts Centre
- Near the Sports Centre/Humanities building
- Near the Gatehouse
How can I find out more?
Coventry City Council post regular updates about these works, and other road works in the City to http://www.coventry.gov.uk/yourcity.
We also post traffic updates to the University’s website at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/traffic/.
If you would like more information on these works, please contact Peter Howarth, Coventry City Council, on 024 7683 2866 or peter dot howarth at coventry dot gov dot uk.
If you're involved in any other events or visits to the campus that involve large numbers or use of coaches/buses, please email transport dot traffic at warwick dot ac dot uk to discuss the arrangements with us to make sure any necessary measures are put in place.