Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Art and Architecture Gallery

Click on the images to enlarge and find out more!
Artist’s impression of how the Warwick Arts Centre will look in 2020, source: Warwick Arts Centre website. Sculpture Trail Map, source: University of Warwick Art Collection Website Days of Judgement, Cat 1, 2012 By Laura Ford (Born 1961) Bronze University of Warwick Art Collection
Black Koan by Liliane Lijn, source: University of Warwick Art Collection Website Photograph of the Koan, source: Warwick Modern Records Centre Let’s not be Stupid, 1991. By Richard Deacon (Born 1949). Stainless steel, painted mild steel. University of Warwick Art Collection
Black Cube, 2013 By Lotte Thuenker (Born 1954) Limestone Petit Granit University of Warwick Art Collection Song (Version V), 2017 By Jon Isherwood (Born 1960) Black Granite University of Warwick Art Collection In 1982, the Warwick Arts Collection was still being expanded. The interaction between the student body and the arts collection has always been significant -regardless of their faculty. This is shown by the way in which students sent a letter to the Warwick arts curator, asking for more labels to be added to the artworks around campus -they thought the labels were essential for the artistic and visual experience. The university responded in good time and ordered the labels -for a mere price of £1.35 each!
The new Faculty of Arts building, designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios Project design for the New Arts Building, source: Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios website The Warwick Library under construction in 1966. Can you see the similarities with the Humanities Building?
Artist’s Impression of on some of the first university buildings, source: Warwick Modern Records Centre Artist’s Impression of the Humanities building, source: Warwick Modern Records Centre Discovered in the SU archives: A series of Alternative Prospectuses, written BY students FOR students! ...Are these the origins of Warwickfessions?
Artistic Response to the new Arts building by one of our team members: Madeleine Snowdon. Artwork by Madeleine Snowdon Another beautiful shot of the Library under construction found in the MRC.
“We hailed him as our first student” declared Rees on his book. “The site from the air looking north east, 1964. The Central Campus is the middle distance; in the foreground is Cryfield House Farm, whose land formed the gift of the County. Its track joins Gibbet Hill Road. On the far right is part of Tocil Wood.” “The site as envisaged in February 1958. The ‘Main Site’ on this plan became the University Gibbet Hill site. Seen by the City Architect in April 1958, it was donated by the City together with the land to the west by March 1960. A gift from the County in December 1963 brought the total site area to 417 acres.”
“The possible appearance of a University College of Coventry. This imaginative scheme by Arthur Ling and Stewart Johnston was produced about June 1958 and published the following December. It accommodated 670 students and 81 staff in 14 departments. The arts were housed in the 21-storeyed tower block with the Great Hall behind, while the sciences and administration were in the long five-storeyed building to the right. Nearer the view point was the Department of Architecture with its courtyard garden. Seven halls of residence pointed outwards. The Gibbet Hill crossroads are behind the top of the tower, with the Kenilworth Road running to the left and Gibbet Hill Road to the right.” “The first structure, in the East Side, 1963. Designed as a temporary administrative building and first occupied in August 1963, it is still in use, housing part of the University Estates Office [when the book was published in 1989].” “A model illustrating the development plan, 1964. The positions of the existing library, administration, science and humanities buildings reflect those on the plan. But construction has not yet extended far into the country land and the dual carriageway did not materialise. Key: A. Administration; H. Humanities; HR. Halls of Residence; G. Great Hall; L-Library; S. Science; SP. Sports Pavillions; St. Stadium; T. Theatre.”
Go back to Art and Architecture
...or go back to the Main Page