Focus on the manufacture, reception, distribution, and collecting of art from the C14th to the C17th in three major centres:
Venice, Padua and Bologna.
We explore the production and dissemination of art in Venice, its social and political implications, and the city's collections and artistic heritage.
- Gallerie dell'Accademia project: helping to conserve Renaissance paintings in Venice
- Navigating the Canals: researching how maritime routes were used to transport of Venetian works of art
- Painters’ Workshops in Renaissance Venice: an network of academics, curators and conservators
- Giorgio Tagliaferro. 'A New Agony in the Garden by Titian and His Collaborators, and the Problem of Originality in Late Titian'. Artibus et Historiae, 72 (2015): 107-126
- Giorgio Tagliaferro. 'Procurators on the Threshold: Sitters and Beholders in Palma Giovane's Crociferi Entombment'. Artibus et Historiae, 74 (2016): 153-176
- Other publications by Giorgio Tagliaferro
- Louise Bourdua. What Petrarch Saw: Art and Patronage in Fourteenth-Century Venice (in preparation)
We investigate workshop organisation, patronage and cultural agency, spectatorship, and artistic legacies in Padua.
- Louise Bourdua. '“Stand by your man”: Caterina Lupi, wife of Bonifacio’. In Venice and the Veneto During the Renaissance. The Legacy of Benjamin Kohl (Florence University Press, 2014), 405-428
Louise Bourdua. 'The Dynamics of Artistic Patronage at the Santo and the Role of the Franciscans'. In La Basilica di Sant'Antonio in Padova, eds G. Zampieri, L. Bertazzo (L'Erma di Bretschneider, 2021), 509-541
- Louise Bourdua. Giotto's Ghost. Painting in Padua Before and After the Arena Chapel (forthcoming)
- Other publications by Louise Bourdua
- Livia Lupi. 'Fictive Architecture and Pictorial Place: Altichiero da Zevio’s Oratory of St George in Paudua.' In Place and Space in the Medieval World edited by Jane Hawkes et al. (Routledge, 2018), 137-148
- The Malvasia Project: publishing the critical edition and English translation of Carlo Cesare Malvasia’s Felsina pittrice (1678)