|Tel.: 024 7652 2837|
|Room: R3.13 Ramphal Building|
Tuesday 11-1200 (on Microsoft Teams)
Thursday 15-1600 (on Microsoft Teams)
If you would like to meet me during my office hours, please send me a message on teams during the times above, and I will add you to the waiting list.
Senior Teaching Fellow
Deputy Head of the School for Cross-faculty Studies (Global Sustainable Development)
Originally from London, I grew up with a love of the ocean. I started diving at 15 and studied an undergraduate degree in Marine Biology and Coastal Ecology followed by a Masters in Biodiversity and Conservation. During this period, I developed a conservation-based research programme in Cambodia which focused on the appropriate development and efficacy of Marine Protected Areas. I then undertook a Ph.D. assessing the socio-economic and ecological impacts of marine management on local communities. Throughout my studies, I have been actively involved in the governance and policy arrangements of marine management and assisted in the establishment of a series of MPAs.
Following my Ph.D. I worked at the School for Field Studies in Bocas Del Toro, Panama. This involved teaching field-based courses in marine ecology, conservation and the scientific method to undergraduate students from around the world. During this time, I continued my work on the efficacy of MPAs and their impacts on the environment, economy, local indigenous communities, and tourism.
My main research interests surround human-ecosystem interactions, and the monitoring of marine resources, impact assessments. Ultimately, identifying the best means of integrating local resource-dependent communities into the habitat conservation, monitoring, and management.
Modules and courses
Current research projects
Protected Areas and People: Exploring perceived wisdoms surrounding natural resource management and sustainability. Funded by: Warwick GCRF Catalyst fund. (More information on this research project)
- Haenssgen, M.J., Savage, J.M., Yeboah, G, Charoenboon, N. & Srenh, S. (2021) In a network of lines that intersect: The socio-economic development impact of marine resource management and conservation in Southeast Asia. World Development. 146, 105576
- Savage J.M., Cook S., Yeboah G. (2020) Tourist Traps: Assessing the Role of Tourism in Sustaining Life Below Water. In: Leal Filho W., Azul A.M., Brandli L., Lange Salvia A., Wall T. (eds) Life Below Water. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71064-8_126-1
- Savage, J.M., Hudson, M.D. & Osborne, P.E. (2019) The challenges of establishing marine protected areas in South East Asia. In: J. Humphries & R.W.E. Clark (eds) Marine Protected Areas: Science, Policy and Management. Elsevier.
- Mach, L., Ponting, J., Brown, J. and Savage, J. (2018) Riding waves of intra-seasonal demand in surf tourism: analysing the nexus of seasonality and 21st century surf forecasting technology. Annals of Leisure Research. 2018:1-19.
- Savage, J.M., Osborne, P.E. & Hudson, M.D. (2017) Can international volunteers and community members effectively monitor coral reef resources in Cambodia? Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 27(2): 340-352.
- Savage, J.M., Osborne, P.E., Hudson, M.D., Knapp, M.P. & Budello, L (2014) A current status assessment of the coral reefs in the Koh Sdach Archipelago, Cambodia. Cambodian Journal of Natural History 2014(1): 47-54.
- Savage, J. M., Osborne, P. E. & Hudson, M.D. (2013) Abundance and diversity of marine fauna and flora of the Koh Rong Archipelago, Cambodia. Cambodian Journal of Natural History 2013(2): 89-94.
- Savage, J.M., Ceballos-Meraz, L., Mach, L. & Scott, C.P. (2017, December) 30 Years Later: What have we learned from the Isla Bastimentos National Marine Park? Presented at the European Coral Reef Symposium, 13-15th December 2017, Oxford.
- Savage. J.M., Osborne, P.E. & Hudson, M.D (2015, June) Implications of 10 years without marine protection. Presented at the International Conference on Biodiversity, Ecology and Conservation of Marine Ecosystems, 1-4th June 2015, Hong Kong.
- Savage, J. M., Osborne, P.E. & Hudson, M.D. (2014, May) Implications of 10 years without marine protection. Presented at the Marine Biological Association
Marine Biological Association (Post-graduate Conference) May 2014, Scarborough.