Welcome to GSD at Warwick
We are a multifaceted department, passionate about investigating the most pressing issues facing our world today, and eager to engage in intellectual discussions with our students. We are delighted that you will be joining us! You will be part of an international group of enthusiastic, critical, and committed students and academics.
We look forward to meeting you in September during Welcome Week (Thursday 22 September - Sunday 2 October 2022). Before you start your studies, please look at the information below. The links provide an introduction to our department and the academic content of your degree, as well as some University pages you may want to look at. You'll also find information about what to do when you arrive at Warwick, and how you will be spending your first week.
If you have any questions before you start, please feel free to get in touch with us:
- For undergraduate enquiries please email: globalsustainabledev at warwick dot ac dot uk
- For postgraduate enquiries please email PGGSD at warwick dot ac dot uk.
- Check out the first-year modules to see what you'll be studying.
- View our programme of events for Welcome Week (link coming soon).
- Read our checklist for new undergraduate GSD students (link coming soon).
- Take a look at the 2022/23 Student Handbook (link coming soon).
- Check out the latest blogs from current GSD students, Lauren and Harry.
Stepping up from school to university
We have dedicated Directors of Student Experience in GSD. Our Director of Student Experience for first-year students is here to work with you and to work for you in your first year. We recognise you will be making a big change in your life as you become part of our exciting community of students and academics. We have several structured systems, processes, and spaces in place to provide you with that all-important extra support as you make the transition to life at university.
Your personal tutor
You will be assigned a personal tutor in the GSD Department who will look after you right from your first few weeks at Warwick. Your personal tutor will be available to discuss your personal and academic development, as well as your future career plans. Should you encounter any issues that need further advice and guidance, your personal tutor will also be able to signpost and refer you to Warwick’s professional support services.
Above: First-year students getting to grips with campus during the GSD Treasure Hunt activity in Welcome Week.
- Have a browse of our module pages.
- View our programme of Welcome Week events for MASc students (link coming soon).
- Take a look at the 2022/23 PGT Student Handbook (link coming soon).
- Take a look at the 2022/23 PGR Student Handbook (link coming soon).
- Catch up with the latest research in the School for Cross-faculty Studies.
- Check out some of the blogs and vlogs from current Warwick students via PhD Life, The Study Blog, and OurWarwick.
MASc optional modules
If you are studying the MASc in Global Sustainable Development, we encourage you to explore optional modules for Term 2. Please see our Module pages for a list of some of the optional modules available to you in the School for Cross-faculty Studies and across the University. Please note, you do not need to do anything about choosing optional modules before Welcome Week.
Before term starts, you might want to have a look at the range of initiatives on offer which you could be involved in. Below we have provided links to a number of GSD-related student initiatives.