Email: j dot r dot l dot clarke at warwick dot ac dot uk
|Room: R3.11, Ramphal Building|
Office hours: Tuesday 11-12 pm, Friday 2-3pm;
or by appointment.
Senior Teaching Fellow
Jonathan joined the Global Sustainable Development (GSD) programme in October 2017. Prior to this time, he worked as a Research Fellow in the Department of Politics and International Studies (PAIS) at the University of Warwick, where he contributed to a number of predominantly EU-funded international research projects. He has an interdisciplinary outlook, with particular interests in cities, design, governance, water and future societies.
In addition to his academic experience, Jonathan is an experienced environmental consultant, planner, urban designer and chartered landscape architect, specialising in regeneration, masterplanning and environmental impact assessment. He is a professional practice examiner for the Landscape Institute, a design expert for Design Midlands and an external tutor at the University of Sheffield’s Department of Landscape.
Jonathan's work considers the roles of design, planning and governance in identifying and responding to future urban challenges, with special interests in climate change adaptation, risk, resilience, infrastructure, living with water, urban development and sustainable pathways.
His contribution to the Horizon 2020-funded RESILENS (Realising European Resilience for Critical Infrastructure ) project reflected upon how the resilience of critical infrastructure might be enhanced, how a wider range of stakeholders might be integrated and how social factors can extend risk management practices, as means to initiate more transformative practice and long-term thinking within the sector. He joined PAIS and the ResCityLab as a Doctoral Research Student in 2013 contributing to the DESURBS and HARMONISE FP7 Research projects, where his research explored the role that urban design and governance might make to enhanced city resilience, based upon on an inductive approach of learning from practice.
Teaching and supervision
Jonathan is the convener of the following modules:
- The Energy Trilemma
Global Sustainable Development Project (content)
- Coaffee, J. and Clarke, J.R.L. (2017) “Resilient Urbanism 2.0: Designing for risk and uncertainty.” LA+ Journal: RISK Issue, Spring 2017.
- Clarke, J.R.L. (2016) “From Maladaption to Adaption: A Resilient Urban Planning Paradigm.” In: Chandler, D. and Coaffee, J. (eds.) ‘The Routledge Handbook of International Resilience’ Routledge, London.
- Coaffee, J. and Clarke, J.R.L (2016) "Critical infrastructure lifelines and the politics of anthropocentric resilience." Resilience: International Policies, Practices and Discourses, https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21693293.2016.1241475.
- Coaffee, J., Clarke, J.R.L. and Davis, P. (2016) "A HARMONISE’d approach to building security-driven urban resilience: a call to arms." Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, Vol. 21(1), pp.73-80.
- Coaffee, J. and Clarke, J.R.L. (2015) "Viewpoint: On implementing Urban Resilience, Town Planning Review." 86(3), pp. 249-255.