Michael Dieter (Associate Professor)
Michael Dieter joined the Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM) after working at the University of Amsterdam and the Centre for Digital Cultures, Leuphana in Germany. He holds a PhD in Culture and Communication from the University of Melbourne on media art criticism and new materialist philosophy. His current research focuses on developing inventive methods for interface criticism, focussed in particular on contemporary user-experience design epistemologies and techniques for social media platforms and mobile apps. His other research interests include genealogies of media at the intersection of aesthetic and political thought, contemporary media art and publishing practices after digitisation. I am available to supervise doctoral students on topics aligned to one or more of my research interests.
Media theory; interface criticism; digital aesthetics; inventive methods; publishing practices; new media literacies; software studies.
- w/ Nathaniel Tkacz, 'The Patterning of Finance/Security: A Designerly Walkthrough of Challenger Banking Apps', Computational Culture: A Journal of Software Studies 7 (2020), http://computationalculture.net/the-patterning-of-finance-security/
- w/ David Gauthier and Marc Tuters, ‘Conversation Pieces: On Recounting New Media Art Mailinglist Cultures’, Internet Histories: Digital Technology, Culture and Society, Special Issue: Internet Histories and Computational Methods 3.3-4 (2019): 245-274.
- w/ Carolin Gerlitz, Anne Helmond, Nathaniel Tkacz, Fernando van der Vlist and Esther Weltevrede, ‘Multi-Situated App Studies: Methods and Propositions’, Social Media + Society 5.2 (2019): 1-15; https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2056305119846486
- w/ David Gauthier, ‘On the Politics of Chrono-Design: Capture, Time and the Interface’, Theory, Culture & Society 36.2 (2019): 61-87.
- ‘All Things Optimal’ in S. Lorusso (ed.) Pervasive Labor Union: The Entreprecariat, 2017, pp. 71-73; https://ilu.servus.at/issue11.html
- ‘Responsiveness and the Flexible Grid’, in Teresa Martínez Figuerola and Jorge Luis Marzo (eds) Interface Politics, Barcelona: GREDITS Publications, 2016, pp. 91-104.
- w/ David Berry (eds) Postdigital Aesthetics: Art, Computation and Design, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillian, 2015.
- ‘The Virtues of Critical Technical Practice’, differences: A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies, Special Issue: In the Shadows of the Digital Humanities 25.1 (2014): 216-230.
- w/ Geert Lovink, ‘Theses on Making in the Digital Age’, in Garnet Hertz (ed.) Critical Making (2012).
- ‘The Becoming Environmental of Power: Tactical Media After Control’, Fibreculture Journal 18 (2011).
- ‘Issues, Processes, AIR: Toward Reticular Politics’, Australian Humanities Review 46 (2009).
- IM902 - Approaches to the Digital
- IM923 - User Interface Cultures: Design, Method, and Critique
Convenor MA in Digital Media and Culture
Deputy Director of Graduate Studies
Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies
University of Warwick
Tel: +44 (0)24765 73458
Email:M dot J dot Dieter at warwick dot ac dot uk
Office hours: Click here