Zahida Hussain (Q-Step Administrator)
I am the manager of the newly established Warwick Q-Step Centre, located within the Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies. I work closely with the Co-Directors, Prof Tak Wing Chan and Dr Emma Uprichard, to co-ordinate the administrative and financial management of the Centre and support the approval of new undergraduate and postgraduate Quantitative Methods degrees. My role is wide-ranging, cuts across a number of different departments and interfaces with external funders and 14 other Q-Step Centres across the UK. The following are areas of particular focus:
- Responsible for all Q-Step Centre budgetary management including financial reporting to the funding body, the Nuffield Foundation;
- Manage all income and expenditure for the Q-Step programme, including quarterly invoicing for external funding;
- Oversee the financial allocation of Q-Step related income and costs across the three participating Departments;
- In conjunction with the Central Finance team, ensure that the Q-Step 10-year plan is kept accurate and up-to-date.
Staff Recruitment and Management
- Recruit and supervise administrative and technical support staff working for the Q-Step Centre, including responsibility for their professional development, training, sick leave and performance Review;
- Manage the processes for academic recruitment, liaising with the Co-Directors to produce job advertisements, send out interview invites, request and collate references and organise recruitment committees and interview days;
- Provide administrative support for the Royal Statistical Society accreditation process and assist with the monitoring and maintenance of accreditation once it has been achieved.
- Co-ordinate and administer the approval process for new UG and PG Quantitative Methods (QM) degrees across the participating Departments;
- Assist with the production of course documentation for new degrees and modules;
- Process External Examiner appointments in accordance with University requirements.
- Liaise with the Departmental Offices over the administration of teaching and assessment for the new QM degrees;
- Support the Departments with QM module administration by helping to resolve issues related to timetabling, statistical software, coursework extensions and student feedback.
- Plan and organise Q-Step events, including costings, hospitality arrangements, invitations for internal and external guests and speakers and overseeing the arrangements during the event.
- Service Q-Step committees and working groups include Team meetings, Strategy Group, Advisory Board and Placements Working Group.
- Liaise with staff from the Departments and the Internal Communications team in the creation, design and maintenance of the Q-Step Centre website.
- Oversee the setting up of student placements with host organisations, working closely with the Co-Directors and the Student Careers and Skills Department;
- Devise processes, procedures and documentation to support placements administration;
- Oversee the financial arrangements for placements, including student bursary payments.
Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies
University of Warwick
Email: Z dot Hussain at warwick dot ac dot uk