Careers, skills, and looking to the future
On Tuesday 14th June 2016 The Midlands Graduate School (comprising the ESRC Doctoral Training Centres of the Universities of Birmingham, Nottingham and Warwick) will present a lively day of discussion on the keys to career thinking, both academic and non-academic.
This workshop for final and penultimate year PhD students, features short and snappy presentations on academic and non-academic career opportunities as well as sessions on networking and job application skills. Presenters will included professors, students and figures from government and industry.
To book your place at this exciting event please use the booking form. Due to the interactive nature of this event places are limited so please book your place early.
Refreshments and a buffet lunch will be provided.
A small number of travel bursaries of up to £50 are available for non-Warwick students. Those wishing to express an interest in a bursary should indicate such on the booking form.
Professor Michael Saward – Director, ESRC Doctoral Training Centre
10:15-12:15 Session 1 - Opportunities
- Academic careers today - Dr. Felicity Boardman (Warwick Medical School)
- Getting published - Professor Michael Saward (Director, Warwick ESRC Doctoral Training Centre)
- Research across Government - Dr. Emma Gordon (GESR team, HM Treasury)
- Careers in research – Dr Caroline Morin (Ofqual)
13:00-14:30 Session 2 - Communicating Your Skills with Confidence
Charlie Cunningham - Senior Careers Consultant, Warwick University
A practical session to help you:
- Understand what skills and experience employers/principle investigators are looking for
- Identify what works on a CV or application form
- Know how to prepare for and practice job interviews
14:30-14:45 Refreshment break
14:45-16:30 Session 3 - Contacts and networks
- Standing out from the crowd – John Burden (Research Strategy & Programme Manager for
the Institute of Advanced Study - Warwick University)
- Networking tales: personal and social networking - Dr Charlotte Mathieson (Newcastle University)
- Speed networking - facilitated by Annie Bryan (Student Careers and Skills - Warwick University)
Date: Tuesday 14th June 2016
Time: 10am- 4:30pm (registration from 9:30am)
Location: Scarman House, Warwick University Conference Park, Coventry, CV4 7AL.
Please follow signs from Gibbet Hill Road, CV4 7AL, or use the Conference Park's map (Scarman House is at the top of the map in the middle).