Dr Gary Fowmes
Operations Director Taught Programmes
- EngD, Engineering Doctorate, Loughborough University, 2008.
- MSc, Geotechnical Engineering, Distinction, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK, 2003.
- BSc, Geology, First Class Honours, Durham University, UK, 2002.
University of Warwick, Associate Professor in Civil Engineering (2017-)
- Senior Lecturer in Engineering Geology (2016)
- Lecturer in Engineering Geology (2013 - 2016)
FCC Environment (Formerly Waste Recycling Group)
- Senior Geotechnical Engineer (2012)
- Engineering Designer (2010 to 2011)
Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency
- Senior Data Analyst (2010)
Golder Associates (UK) Ltd - Nottingham, UK
- Geotechnical Research Engineer (2004-2008)
- Geotechnical Engineer (2008 to 2010)
- Chartered Member of Institution of Civil Engineers [CEng MICE]
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority
- Member of International Geosynthetics Society (UK Chapter). Chair 2014 - 2016. Committee member since 2004.
- British Geotechnical Association Member 2014-Present, Committee member (2014 - 2016)
- ISSMGE (2017 - Present)
Gary joined the University of Warwick in January 2017 and is continuing his current research into rapid prototyping of geosynthetics interfaces.
Additionally, his research portfolio includes:
- waste containment,
- slope stability early warning systems,
- sustainable construction and soil modification with admixtures.
He has extensive industry connections, and has international collaborations with a number of universities.
Chao, Z. and Fowmes, G.J. (2021) Modified stress and temperature-controlled direct shear apparatus on soil-geosynthetics interfaces, Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Accepted for publication Jan 2021.
Chao, Z. and Fowmes, G.J. and Dassanayake, S. M. (2021). Comparative study of hybrid artificial intelligence approaches for predicting peak shear strength along soil-Geocomposite Drain Layer interfaces. International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering.
Fowmes, Gary J., Dixon, N., Postill, H., El-Hamalawi, A., Take, W. A., 2019. Modelling seasonal ratcheting and progressive failure in clay slopes : a validation. Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Fowmes, Gary J., Dixon, Neil, Fu, Liwei, Zaharescu, Catalin Alexandru, 2017. Rapid prototyping of geosynthetic interfaces : investigation of peak strength using direct shear tests. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 45 (6), pp. 674-687
- Codeglia, Daniela, Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., Marcato, Gianluca, 2017. Analysis of acoustic emission patterns for monitoring of rock slope deformation mechanisms. Engineering Geology, 219, pp. 21-31
- Smith, Alister, Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., 2017. Monitoring buried pipe deformation using acoustic emission : quantification of attenuation. International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 11 (4), pp. 418-430
- Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., Frost, Matthew, 2017. Global challenges, geosynthetic solutions and counting carbon. Geosynthetics International, 24 (5), pp. 451-464
- Smith, A., Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., 2017. Early detection of first-time slope failures using acoustic emission measurements : large-scale physical modelling. Geotechnique, 67 (2), pp. 138-152
- Gelder, Craig, Fowmes, Gary J., 2016. Mixing and compaction of fibre- and lime-modified cohesive soil. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Ground Improvement, 169 (2), pp. 98-108
- Scotland, I., Dixon, Neil, Frost, M., Fowmes, Gary J., Horgan, G., 2016. Modelling deformation during the construction of wrapped Geogrid-reinforced structures. Geosynthetics International, 23 (3), pp. 219-232
- Tano, F., Dias, D., Fowmes, G. J., Oliver, F., Stolz, G., Toutze-Foltz, N., 2016. Numerical modeling of the nonlinear mechanical behavior of multilayer geosynthetic system for piggyback landfill expansions. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 44 (6), pp. 782-798
- Raja, J., Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., Frost, M., Assinder, P., 2015. Obtaining reliable embodied carbon values for geosynthetics. Geosynthetics International, 22 (5), pp. 393-401
- Raja, Jami, Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., Frost, Matthew, Assinder, Peter, 2014. Comparison of carbon dioxide emissions for two landfill capping layers. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Engineering Sustainability, 167 (5), pp. 197-207
- Zamaraev, Katarzyna A., Dixon, Neil, Fowmes, Gary J., Jones, Russel V., Zhang, Bo, 2014. Landfill side slope lining system performance : a comparison of field measurements and numerical modelling analyses. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 42 (3), pp. 224-235
- Zhang, Bo, Fowmes, Gary J., Jones, V., Russell, D, 2012. Landfill capping stability : tapered solution with seepage. Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers: Waste and Resource Management, 165 (3), pp. 141-149
- Zamaraev, Katarzyna A., Dixon, Neil, Russell, D., Jones, V., Fowmes, Gary J., 2012. Monitoring of a landfill side slope lining system : instrument selection, installation and performance. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 35, pp. 1-13
- Dixon, N., Zamara, K., Jones, D. R. V., Fowmes, Gary J., 2012. Waste/lining system interaction : implications for landfill design and performance. Geotechnical Engineering, 43 (3), pp. 1-10
- Fowmes, Gary J., Dixon, N., Jones, D. R. V., 2009. Validation of a numerical modelling technique for multilayered geosynthetic landfill lining systems. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 26 (2), pp. 109-121
- Dixon, Neil, Jones, D. R. V., Fowmes, Gary J., 2006. Interface shear strength variability and its use in reliability-based landfill stability analysis. Geosynthetics International, 13 (1), pp. 1-14