Professor Ken Mao
Professor in Mechanical Engineering
Director of MSc Programmes
Engineering Researchers in the top 2% of the world’s leading academics
1. Polymer Composite Gears and lightweight gearbox design for EV and motorcycle as well as healthcare applications
2. Contact Simulation and Design (non-linear FEM):
- Gear transmission system design
- Aircraft Tyre Contact Simulations
- Finite Element Methods and their Engineering Application Skills
- Advanced Mechanical Design - lightweight gearbox design
- Structure Design Optimisation
- K. Mao, D. Greenwood, R. Ramakrishnan, V. Goodship, C. Shrouti, Derek Chetwynd and P. Langlois, ‘The Wear Resistance Improvement of Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composite Gear’, Wear, pp1033-1039, 2019.
- K. Mao, P. Langlois, N. Madhav, D. Greenwood and M. Milson, ’Experimental Investigations of Polymer Composite Gear Performance’, Gear Technology, November/December, pp. 68 - 72, 2019.
K. Mao, D. Chetwynd and M. Milson, ‘A New Test Method for Polymer Gear Wear Rate and Performances’, Polymer Testing, 82,106323, 2020.
- Y. Zhang, C. Purssell, K. Mao and S. Leigh, ‘A physical investigation of wear and thermal characteristics of 3D printed nylon spur gears, Tribology International, 141,105953, 2020.
- G. Yu, H. Liu, K. Mao, C. Zhu and P. Wei, ‘An Experimental Investigation on the Wear of Lubricated PEEK against Steel Gears’, Journal of Tribology, 142(4): 041702 (7 pages), 2020.
- Zhang, K. Mao, S. Leigh, A. Shah, G. Ma and Z. Chao, ‘A Parametric Study of 3D Printing Polymer Gears’, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 107(11-12), pp. 4481-4492, 2020.
- Z. Hu and K. Mao, ‘An investigation of misalignment effects on the performance of acetal gears’, Tribology International., 116, p. 394-402, 2017
- Z. Wang, D. Chetwynd and K. Mao, ‘Friction characteristics of polymers applicable to small-scale devices’, Tribology International, Vol. 119, pp. 698-706, 2018.
- C. Wang, K. Mao, ‘A calculation method of sliding friction coefficient on tooth surface for helical gear pair based on loaded tooth contact analysis and elastohydrodynamic lubrication theory’, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, https://doi.org/10.1177/1350650120966894, 2020.
- Z Wang, J Lia, X Ge, Y Liu, J Luo, D. Chetwynd, and K Mao, ‘Investigation of the lubrication properties and synergistic interaction of biocompatible liposome-polymer complexes applicable to artificial joints’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp469–478, 2019.
Projects and Grants
- 'Light weight gearbox design for motorcycle transmission system', funded by TVS Motors (2016 - 2021)
- 'Polymer gear design', funded by Innovate UK and Smart Manufacturing Technology (2014 - 2017)