Professor Leandro Pecchia
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Director for the Applied Biomedical Signal Processing and Intelligent eHealth Lab
Director of Studies for the MSc in Biomedical Engineering
Prof Leandro Pecchia graduated in Biomedical Engineering in 2005 and received the PhD in Biomedical Engineering and Management of Healthcare Services in 2009 at the University “Federico II” of Naples. Since 2013, he joined The University of Warwick, UK, where he is Reader of Biomedical Engineering. Since 2014, he directs the Applied Biomedical Signal Processing and Intelligent eHealth Lab (ABSPIE). Dr Pecchia authored more than 100 peer-reviewed papers on journals, books and conferences in the fields of Health Technology Assessment (HTA), Internet of Things and machine learning applied to active and healthy ageing and management of chronic diseases.
Since November 2020, Prof Pecchia is supporting the WHO as Innovation Manager for the PPE pillar of the COVID-19 Blueprint programme.
Prof Pecchia is President of the EAMBES, Secretary General of the IUPESM, Treasurer of the IFMBE Clinical Engineering Division (CED), and former IFMBE Healthcare Technology Assessment Division (IFMBE HTAD) Chair (2015-18) and Treasurer (2012-15).
- Medical Device design, manufacturing, assessment and maintenance: Need assessment; Medical device regulatory sciences; risk assessment, clearance and certification; HTA, pricing and procurement of medical devices; Medical device maintenance.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI), machine learning and biomedical signals and data: using wearable sensors and AI methods we observe combination of biosignals reflecting both cardiovascular and nervous system statuses (e.g., HRV, ECG, GSR, temperature, physical activity etc.) and studying how their changes can be used for early detection or prediction of severe events associated to Congestive Hearth Failure (CHF), hypertension, diabetes, cancer, eye diseases, pneumonia, and mental stress..
- Health Technology Assessment (HTA): Evaluation methods for healthcare technologies (including drugs, devices, surgical techniques, medical procedures, healthcare processes); Analytic need analysis and quantification of expert knowledge; Clinical outcome assessment and systematic literature review: network meta-analysis; Risk Assessment for Falls in Elderly.
- Telemedicine: Design, development and assessment of platform for the continuity of care of patients suffering from chronic diseases; Design, development and assessment of Point of Care; HTA of Telemedicine; Stress assessment of family caregiver during Home Monitoring programs; Home Monitoring vs Disease Management Programs: the independent value of ICT to health.
The application of Systems thinking perspectives to the impact of healthcare on people, processes, information and organisations
Journal papers published in 2022
- Maccaro A., Piaggio D., Leesurakarn S. , Sekalala S., Rai S.M., Pecchia L., On the universality of Medical Device Regulations: the case of Benin, BMC Health Services Research, (accepted 29 Apr 2022).
- Maccaro A., Piaggio D., Vignigbé M., Singl A., Pecchia L., COVID-19 preparedness and social dynamics in a Sub-Saharan Africa country, Benin, Health Promotion International (accepted 4 Apr 2022).
- Maccaro A., Piaggio D. , Oronti I. B. , Vignigbé M. , Gbokli A., Hougnihin R., Pecchia L, Social engagement in the fight against COVID-19 in the urban and peri-urban areas of Cotonou (Benin, Sub-Saharan Africa): acceptability of the vaccination and tracking program, Frontiers in Medicine (accepted March 2022).
- Facciorusso, A., Kovacevic, B., Yang, D., Vilas-Boas, F., Martínez, B., Stigliano, S., ...Pecchia L.,... & Crinó, S. F. (2022). Predictors of adverse events after endoscopic ultrasound through-the-needle biopsy of pancreatic cysts: a recursive partitioning analysis. Endoscopy, Endoscopy 2022; 54(S 01): S87-S88, https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0042-1744769Link opens in a new window
- De Maria, C., Díaz Lantada, A., Jämsä, T., Pecchia L, Ahluwaliaet A. (2022) Biomedical engineering in low- and middle-income settings: analysis of current state, challenges and best practices. Health Technol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-022-00657-8Link opens in a new window
- Stokes K, Oronti B, Cappuccio FP, Pecchia, (2022) Use of technology to prevent, detect, manage and control hypertension in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic reviewBMJ Open 2022;12:e058840. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-058840Link opens in a new window
- Vallefuoco E, Bravaccio C, Gison G, Pecchia L , Pepino A. (2022). Personalized Training via Serious Game to Improve Daily Living Skills in Pediatric Patients with Autism Spectrum Disorder, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (J-BHI). https://doi.org/10.1109/JBHI.2022.3155367Link opens in a new window
- Allocca, C., Jilali, S., Ail, R., Lee, J., Kim, B., Antonini, A., ..., Pecchia L,... & Fico, G. (2022). Toward a Symbolic AI Approach to the WHO/ACSM Physical Activity & Sedentary Behavior Guidelines. Applied Sciences, 12(4), 1776. https://doi.org/10.3390/app12041776
- Federici, C., & Pecchia, L. (2022). POSB52 Exploring the Misalignment on the Value of Further Research between Payers and Manufacturers: A Case Study on a Novel Total Artificial Heart. Value in Health, 25(1), S70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2021.11.325
- Williams, E., Piaggio, D., Andellini, M., Pecchia, L. (2022) 3D-printed activated charcoal inlet filters for oxygen concentrators: a circular economy approach. Development Engineering 7 (2022) 100094. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.deveng.2022.100094
- Stokes, K., Castaldo, R., Federici, C., Pagliara, S., Maccaro, A., Cappuccio, F., Fico, G., Salvatore, M., Franzese, M. and Pecchia, L.. (2022) The use of Artificial Intelligence Systems in Diagnosis of Pneumonia via signs and symptoms: a systematic review. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. Volume 72, Part A, February 2022, 103325, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2021.103325Link opens in a new window
- De Micco, F., De Benedictis, A., Fineschi, V., Frati, P., Ciccozzi, M., Pecchia, L., ... & Tambone, V. (2022). From Syndemic Lesson after COVID-19 Pandemic to a “Systemic Clinical Risk Management” Proposal in the Perspective of the Ethics of Job Well Done. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19(1), 15. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19010015
Journal papers published in 2021
- Celesti, A., De Falco, I., Pecchia, L., & Sannino, G. (2021). Guest Editorial Enabling Technologies for Next Generation Telehealthcare. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 25(12), 4240-4242. https://doi.org/10.1109/JBHI.2021.3126034
- Andellini M, Faggiano F, Picardo SG, Testa G, Perrotta D, Bianchi R, Nocchi F, Capussotto C, Bassanelli E, Derrico P, Pirozzi N, Pecchia L, Ritrovato M. Health Technology Assessment of Intensive Care Ventilators for Pediatric Patients. Children (Basel). 2021 Nov 1;8(11):986. doi: 10.3390/children8110986. PMID: 34828698; PMCID: PMC8621341. https://doi.org/10.3390/children8110986
- Maccaro A, Piaggio D, Dodaro CA, Pecchia L (2021) Biomedical engineering and ethics: reflections on medical devices and PPE during the first wave of COVID-19, BMC Medical Ethics, (2021) 22:130 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12910-021-00697-1Link opens in a new window
- Stokes K, Castaldo R, Franzese M, Salvatore M, Fico G, Pokvicd LG, Badnjevice A, Pecchia L ,A machine learning model for supporting symptom-based referral and diagnosis of bronchitis and pneumonia in limited resource settings (2021), Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering, Vol 41, issue 4: 1288-1302; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbe.2021.09.002Link opens in a new window
- Stokes K, Peltrini R, Bracale U, Trombetta M, Pecchia L, Basoli F, Enhanced medical and community face masks with antimicrobial properties: a systematic review, J. Clin. Med. 2021,10(18), 4066; https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10184066Link opens in a new window
- Federici C, Pecchia L. (2021) Early Health Technology Assessment using the MAFEIP tool. A case study on a wearable device for fall prediction in elderly patients. Health and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-021-00580-4
- Muhammad SH, Castaldo R, Pagliara SM, Petretta M, Salvatore M, Franzese M, Pecchia L, (2021), "Time Adaptive ECG driven Cardiovascular Disease Detector", Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Vol. 20: 102968, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2021.102968Link opens in a new window
- Piaggio D., Castaldo R., Cinelli M., Cinelli S., Maccaro A., Pecchia L., (2021) "A framework for designing medical devices resilient to low-resource settings", Global Health 17, 64 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-021-00718-zLink opens in a new window
- Piaggio D., Namm G., Melillo P, Simonelli F., Iadanza E., Pecchia L., (2021) Pupillometry via smartphone for low-resource settings, Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbe.2021.05.012Link opens in a new window
- Maccaro A, Piaggio D., Pagliara S., Pecchia L, (2021), The role of ethics in science: a systematic literature review from the first wave of COVID-19, Health and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-021-00570-6 Link opens in a new window
Martinez-Ríosa E, Montesinosa L, Alfaro-Poncea M, Pecchia L ( 2021), A review of machine learning in hypertension detection and blood pressure estimation based on clinical and physiological data, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 68 , https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2021.102813Link opens in a new window
- Dimauro G, Bevilacqua V, Pecchia L (2021), Bioelectronic Technologies and Artificial Intelligence for Medical Diagnosis and Healthcare, Electronics, 10(11), 1242. https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics10111242Link opens in a new window
J., Andellini M., Salerno P., Borsci S., Pecchia L., Iadanza E., (2021)Case Studies on the Use of SentimentAnalysis to Assess the Effectiveness and Safety of Health Technologies. IEEE Access. 9:66043-66051. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3076356Link opens in a new window
- Komarzynski S, Wreglesworth N I, Griffiths D, Pecchia L, Subbe C P, Hughes S F, Davies E H., Innominato P F, (2021) Embracing Change: Learnings from implementing multidimensional digital remote monitoring in oncology patients at a district general hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic. JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, 5 : 216-220. https://doi.org/10.1200/CCI.20.00136
- Castaldo R, Cavalieri C, Soricelli A, Salvatore M, Pecchia L and Franzese M (2021) Machine learning for prostate cancer diagnosis: a systematic literature review of radiomic and genomic method performance, Journal of Medical Internet Research, Vol 23 (4), https://doi.org/10.2196/22394Link opens in a new window
- Castaldo R., Chappell M. J., Byrne H., Innominato P. F., Hughes S., Pescapè A. and Pecchia L. (2021). Detection of melatonin-onset in real settings via wearable sensors and artificial intelligence. A pilot Study. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 65, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2020.102386Link opens in a new window
Journal papers published in 2020
- Maccaro, A., Piaggio, D., Dodaro, C. A. and Pecchia, L. (2020). Mental illness in some Sub Saharan African communities: the perspective of Bioethics and transcultural nursing. Medicina e Morale, 69(4), 493-502. ViewLink opens in a new window
- Porumb, Mihaela, Iadanza, Ernesto, Massaro, Sebastiano, Pecchia, Leandro (2020) A convolutional neural network approach to detect congestive heart failure. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 55, View
- Porumb, Mihaela, Stranges, Saverio, Pescapà¨, Antonio, Pecchia, Leandro (2020) Precision medicine and artificial intelligence : a pilot study on deep learning for hypoglycemic events detection based on ECG. Scientific Reports, 10 (1), View
- Pecchia L, Piaggio D, Maccaro A, Formisano C, Iadanza E. (2020) The inadequacy of regulatory frameworks in time of crisis and in low-resource settings: personal protective equipment and COVID-19, Health and Technology, 2020, ViewLink opens in a new window
- Iadanza E, Goretti F, Sorelli M, Melillo P, Pecchia L, Simonelli F, Gerardelli M (2020), “Automatic Detection of Genetic Diseases in Pediatric Age Using Pupillometry”, IEEE Access, 8(1):34949-34961, ViewLink opens in a new window
- Medenou M, Ahouandjinou M.H., Piaggio D., Houessouvo R.C., Pecchia L, Jossou T.R, (2020) New intelligent network approach for monitoring physiological parameters: the case of Benin, Health and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-020-00418-5, ViewLink opens in a new window
- Marano S., Marano M., Pecchia L., Frontiers in Hemodialysis Part II: Toward Personalized and Optimized Therapy, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, (2020), Vol. 61, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2020.102029
- Di Pietro L, Piaggio D, Oronti I, Maccaro A, Houessouvo RC , Medenou D, De Maria C, Pecchia L, Ahluwalia A. (2020) “A framework for assessing healthcare facilities in low-resource settings: field studies in Benin and Uganda”, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering,, Vol. 40, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40846-020-00546-3Link opens in a new window
- Pirc E, Federici C, Bošnjak M, Perić B, Reberšek M, Pecchia L., et al. (2020), “Early cost-effectiveness analysis of electrochemotherapy as a prospect treatment modality for skin melanoma”, Clinical Therapeutics, Vol 42 (8), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2020.06.013Link opens in a new window
- Porumb M., Corbin G, Hatterslay J, Pecchia L. (2020) "Nocturnal Low Glucose Detection in Healthy, Elderly from one-lead ECG using Convolutional Denoising Autoencoders", Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Vol. 56, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2020.102054Link opens in a new window
- Andellini M., Nocchi F., De Santis S., Bassanelli E.,Ritrovato M, Pecchia L. (2020) Clinical needs and technical requirements for ventilators for COVID-19 treatment critical patients: an evidence-based comparison for adult and pediatric age, Health and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-020-00478-7.Link opens in a new window
- Merola, G., Sciuto, A., Pirozzi, F., Andreuccetti, J., Pignata, G., Corcione, F., ... Pecchia L. & Ceccarelli, G. (2020). Is robotic right colectomy economically sustainable? a multicentre retrospective comparative study and cost analysis. Surgical Endoscopy, Vol 34 (9): 4041-4047. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-019-07193-zLink opens in a new window
Projects and Grants
- Leveraging AI based technology to transform the future of health care delivery in Leading Hospitals in Europe (ODIN), Funded by: H2020 , Smart Hosptial and AI call (H2020-DT-2020-1), Project Start Date 01-03-2021 - Project End Date 31-08-2024
- Nocturnal Hypoglycaemia detection via ECG and Artificial Intelligence in diabetic patients, Funded by: Wellcome Trust Translational Partnership, Project Start Date 01-06-2020 - Project End Date 31-03-2022
- GATEKEEPER: Smart living homes – whole interventions demonstrator for people at health and social risks, Funded by: Horizon2020, Project Start Date 01-10-2019 - Project End Date 31-03-2023 Link
- HTA of medical devices relying on AI algorithms, Funded by: private funding , Project Start Date 01-05-2021 - Project End Date 31-12-2021
- Hypoglycaemia detection via ECG and Artificial Intelligence in diabetic patients, Funded by: EPSRC IAA, Project Start Date 01-08-2020 - Project End Date 31-12-2021
Covid-19 pandemic Social and Healthcare dynamic impact in Benin, Funded by: Warwick Global Research Priority on Health and Technology, Project Start Date 01-05-2020 - Project End Date 31-12-2020
- EPSRC Cyclops Grand Challenge Workshop, Funded by: EPSRC, Project Start Date 01-05-2018 - Project End Date 31-07-2019
- Supporting the harmonisation of regulations on medical devices and medical locations among Sub-Saharan African Regions and Europe, Funded by: CGRF, Project Start Date 03-09-2018 - Project End Date 31-03-2020
- Health Technology Assessment of Medical Devices in low and middle income countries, Funded by: EPSRC IAA, Project Start Date 01-03-2017 - Project End Date 31-03-2020
- European network for innovative uses of EMFs in biomedical applications (EMF-MED) Action BM1309 Funded by: European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST), Project Start Date 15-11-2013 - Project End Date 14-11-2017
- Sleep quality, Centre-of-Pressure sway and standing hypotension to estimate the risk of falling and predict accidental falls, Funded by: Royal Society, Project Start Date 10-03-2015 - Project End Date 09-03-2016
- President (2021-2023) of the European Alliance of Medical and Biological Engineering and Science (EAMBES)
- Secretary General (2018-2022) of the International Union for Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine (IUPESM)
- Treasurer (2018-20212 of the Clinical Engineering Division of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Society (CED IFMBE)
- Chairman (2015-2018) of the Health Technology Assessment Division of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Society (IFMBE)
- Treasurer (2012-2015) of the Health Technology Assessment Division of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Society (IFMBE)
- Chairman (2015-2018) of the Public Affair Working Group (PAWG) of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering (EAMBES)
- Councillor (2014-2016) of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering (EAMBES)