Dr Merih Kucukler
Merih dot Kucukler at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0)24 7652 8392
Dr Merih Kucukler is Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering in the School of Engineering at the University of Warwick.
He obtained his PhD in Structural Engineering from Imperial College London, from where he also received an MSc with Distinction in Structural Steel Design. Dr Kucukler's PhD research focused on the development of a new, stiffness reduction based design approach for steel structures, where methods for the assessment of a broad range of instability phenomena encountered in steel structures on the basis of this new design philosophy were derived.
After obtaining his PhD, he worked at Imperial College London as a Postdoctoral Research Associate within the steel structures research group. Following his Postdoc position at Imperial College, he joined the University of Warwick as an Assistant Professor.
Dr Kucukler is a member of the Editorial Board of the Structures journal of Elsevier. He is also a peer reviewer for a number of top ranking research journals in his field such as Engineering Structures, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Thin-Walled Structures, International Journal of Steel Structures, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering and Structures.
He teaches modules in the subjects of computational modelling and steel structures. His research interests focus on structural stability, laboratory testing, numerical modelling and development of structural steel design methods.
- Structural stability
- Steel structures
- Steel-concrete composite structures
- Numerical modelling
- Laboratory testing
- Development of structural steel design methods
- Kucukler, Merih, Gardner, Leroy, 2021. In-plane structural response and design of duplex and ferritic stainless steel welded I-section beam-columns. Engineering Structures, 247, 113136.
- Kucukler, Merih, 2021. Local stability of normal and high strength steel plates at elevated temperatures. Engineering Structures, 243, 112528.
- Xing, Zhe, Zhao, Ou, Kucukler, Merih, Gardner, Leroy, 2021. Fire testing of austenitic stainless steel I-section beam-columns. Thin-Walled Structures, 164, 107916.
- Xing , Zhe, Kucukler, Merih, Gardner, Leroy, 2021. Local buckling of stainless steel I-sections in fire: Finite modelling and design. Thin-Walled Structures, 161, 107486.
- Kucukler, Merih, Xing, Zhe, Gardner, Leroy, 2021. Stability of stainless steel I-section beam-columns at elevated temperatures. International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 21(3), 2150037.
- Xing, Zhe, Zhao, Ou, Kucukler, Merih, Gardner, Leroy, 2021. Testing of stainless steel I-section columns in fire. Engineering Structures, 227, 111320.
- Kucukler, Merih, 2020. Flexural buckling behaviour and design of duplex and ferritic stainless steel I-section columns. Thin-Walled Structures, 156, 106953.
- Quan, Chunyan, Kucukler, Merih, Gardner, Leroy, 2020. Design of web-tapered steel I-section members by second-order inelastic analysis with strain limits. Engineering Structures, 224, 111242.
- Kucukler, Merih, 2020. Compressive resistance of high-strength and normal-strength steel CHS members at elevated temperatures. Thin-Walled Structures, 152, 106753.
- Kucukler, Merih, 2020. Lateral instability of steel beams in fire: Behaviour, numerical modelling and design. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 170, 106095.
Projects and Grants
- Behaviour and design of stainless steel structures in fire, Merih Kucukler (PI), EPSRC New Investigator Award, EP/V034405/1, EPSRC, 01/07/2021-31/12/2023, £403k.
Journal Editorial Board Memberships
- Structures, Elsevier, Member of Editorial Board.
- Structural Stability Research Council (SSRC), Vinnakota Award, 2014.
- Member of CEN/TC250 Subcommittee 3 Working Group 22 focusing on the development of the British and European structural steel design standard Eurocode 3 Part 1.14: Design Assisted by Finite Element Analysis.
- Member of the European Convention of Constructional Steelwork (ECCS) Technical Committee 8 Stability.