MA (Cantab) DPhil (Oxon) PGCE CEng FIMechE
Research Fellow, Sustainable Energy Group.
Module leader, ES3C3 (2014-15 & 2015-16)
|Office||D100||024 765 73447|
Group project supervision 2018-19
Design, build and test components for a micro-hydro system
6 students are working on 3 areas: a spear valve, power electronics and control system.
Spear valve components prior to welding by the Coventry Building and Welding Academy (CBWA); spear valve on test.
A thermal cycling rig to evaluate the long-term suitability of salts for ammonia absorption cycles.
Development of an evacuated solar thermal collector (2013-18)
This EPSRC-funded project was organised by Dr Stan Shire in collaboration with the Universities of Loughborough and Ulster.
A number of solar collectors have been built and tested under a solar simulator.
The efficiency increases significantly when the enclosure is evacuated to a pressure below 0.1 Pa.
Refereed Journal papers
- Moss, R.W., and Oldfield, M.L.G., 1994, Effect of Free-stream Turbulence on Flat-Plate Heat Flux Signals: Spectra and Eddy Transport Velocities. ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol 118, No. 3, p.461 July 1996 (also conference paper ASME 94 GT 205).
- Moss, R.W., Ainsworth, R.W., and Garside, T., Effects Of Rotation On Blade Surface Heat Transfer: An Experimental Investigation. ASME Journal of Turbomachinery vol 120 No. 3, p541, July 1998 (also conference paper ASME 97 GT 188).
- Ainsworth, R.W., Miller, R.J., Moss, R.W. and Thorpe, S.J., Unsteady Pressure Measurement, Meas. Sci. Technol. 11 (2000) 1055-1076.
- Miller, R.J., Moss, R.W.; Ainsworth, R.W.; Harvey, N.W., Time-resolved vane-rotor-vane interaction in a transonic one-and-a-half stage turbine. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, v 215, n 6, 2001, p 675-685
- Miller, R.J., Moss, R.W., Ainsworth, R.W. and Horwood, C.K., Time-Resolved Vane-Rotor Interaction in a High Pressure Turbine Stage. ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 125 No.1, Jan 2003.
- Miller, R. J., Moss, R. W., Ainsworth, R. W. and Harvey, N.W. (2002). Wake, Shock and Potential Field Interactions in a 1.5 Stage Turbine, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 125 No.1, Jan 2003, Parts I and II.
- Payne, S.J., Ainsworth, R.W., Miller, R.J., Moss, R.W. and Harvey, N.H., Unsteady Loss in a High Pressure Turbine Stage. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Volume 24, Issue 5, October 2003, pp. 698-708.
- Miller, R.J., Moss. R.W., Ainsworth, R.W. and Harvey, N.H., The Effect of an Upstream Turbine on a Low Aspect Ratio Vane, ASME GT2004-54017, accepted for publication in the Journal of Turbomachinery
- S.J. Payne, R.W. Ainsworth, R.J. Miller, R.W. Moss and N.W. Harvey, Unsteady loss in a high pressure turbine stage: Interaction effects International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Volume 26, Issue 5, October 2005, Pages 695-708
- Moss, R.W., Roskilly, A.P and Nanda, S.K., A reciprocating Joule cycle engine for domestic CHP systems. Applied Energy 80 (2005) 169-185, also on www.sciencedirect.com
- Moss, R.W., Shire, G.S.F., Henshall, P., Eames, P.C., Arya, F. and Hyde, T, Optimal passage size for solar collector microchannel and tube-on-plate absorbers. Solar Energy (2017) DOI: 10.1016/j.solener.2017.05.030
- Moss R W, Henshall P, Arya F, Shire G, Hyde T, Eames P, (2018). Performance and operational effectiveness of evacuated flat plate solar collectors compared with conventional thermal, PVT and PV panels. Applied Energy, Volume 216, April 2018, 588–601, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.01.001
- Moss R.W., Henshall, P., Arya, F., Shire, G.S.F, Eames, P.C. and Hyde, T., Simulator testing of evacuated flat plate solar collectors for industrial heat and building integration, Solar Energy, Volume 164, April 2018, 109-118, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.02.004
- Moss R.W., Shire, G.S.F., Eames, P.C., Henshall, P., Hyde, T., Arya, F., (2018). Design and commissioning of a virtual image solar simulator for testing thermal collectors. Solar Energy, Volume 159, Jan 2018, 234-242, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.10.044
- R. W. Moss, G.S.F. Shire, P. Henshall, P.C.Eames, F.Arya and T. Hyde., Design and fabrication of a hydroformed absorber for an evacuated flat plate solar collector. Applied Thermal Engineering 138 (2018) 456-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.04.033
- Roger Moss, Stan Shire, Paul Henshall, Farid Arya, Phil Eames, Trevor Hyde. Performance of evacuated flat plate solar thermal collectors. Thermal Science and Engineering Progress 8 (2018) pp296-306 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsep.2018.09.003
Farid Arya, Roger Moss, Trevor Hyde, Stan Shire, Paul Henshall, Philip Eames. Vacuum enclosures for solar thermal panels Part 1: Fabrication and hot-box testing. Solar Energy volume 174, November 2018, Pages 1212-1223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.10.064
- Farid Arya, Roger Moss, Trevor Hyde, Stan Shire, Paul Henshall, Philip Eames. Vacuum enclosures for solar thermal panels Part 2: Transient testing with an uncooled absorber plate. Solar Energy volume 174, November 2018, Pages 1224-1236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.10.063
Refereed Conference Papers
- Moss, R.W., and Oldfield, M.L.G., 1991, Measurements of Hot Combustor Turbulence Spectra. ASME 91-GT-351
- Moss, R.W., and Oldfield, M.L.G., 1992, Measurements of the Effect of Freestream Turbulence Length Scale on Heat Transfer. ASME 92-GT-244
- Garside, T., Moss, R.W., Ainsworth, R.W., Dancer, S.N. and Rose, M.G., Heat Transfer to Rotating Turbine Blades in a Flow Undisturbed by Wakes. ASME 94 GT 94.
- Moss, R.W., Ainsworth, R.W., Sheldrake, C.D. and Miller, R., The Unsteady Pressure Field Over A Turbine Blade Surface: Visualisation And Interpretation Of Experimental Data. ASME 97-GT-474
- Miller, R. J., Moss, R. W., Ainsworth, R. W. and Harvey, N.W. (2001), Time-Resolved Vane-Rotor-Vane Interaction in a Transonic One and a Half Stage Turbine. 4th European Conference of Turbomachinery Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics, ATI-CST-081/01, pages 937 - 949.
- Miller, R.J., Moss, R.W., Ainsworth, R.W. and Harvey, N.H., The Development of Turbine Exit Flow in a Swan-Necked Inter-Stage Diffuser, ASME 2003-GT-38174
- Moss, R.W. and Shire, G.S.F, Design and Performance of Evacuated Solar Collector Microchannel Plates, EuroSun 2014, http://proceedings.ises.org/paper/eurosun2014/eurosun2014-0039-Moss.pdf
Unrefereed conference papers
- Moss, R.W., and Oldfield, M.L.G., 1990, Comparisons between Turbulence Spectra Measured with Fast Response Pressure Transducers and Hot Wires. Symposium on Aerodynamic Measuring Techniques for Transonic and Supersonic Flow in Cascades and Turbomachines, VKI.
- Moss, R.W. and Ainsworth, R.W., A Transient Measuring Technique for Heat Transfer to Metallic Aerofoils, Eurotherm 32, Oxford, July 1993.
- Moss, R.W., Sheldrake, C.D., Ainsworth, R.W., Smith, A.D. and Dancer, S.N. Unsteady Pressure and Heat Transfer Measurements on a Rotating Blade Surface in a Transient Flow Facility. AGARD CP571 “Loss Mechanisms and Unsteady Flow in Turbomachinery”, 85th PEP Symposium, May 1995.
Patents, Thesis and Reports
- Coney, M.H., Richardson, D.A. and Moss, R.W., Internal Cooling Air Control. UK patent GB2165315 granted 31st December 1987; subsequently patented in Germany, France and the USA as DE3534905, FR2571428 and US4604031.
- LaGraff, Passaro, Oldfield, Biagioni, Moss and Battelle, Measurement of Turbulent Pressure and Temperature Fluctuations in a Gas Turbine Combustor. NASA Final Report, Grant NAG3-2419, June 2003
- Moss, R.W., The effects of turbulence length scale on heat transfer (DPhil thesis), University of Oxford 1992, http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:da82e72d-f91b-4fd7-a773-539cba4681e4
Resources for students:
User guide for my engine balancing applet.