This module aims to introduce the theory and implementation of 1-dimensional digital signal processing and 2-dimensional image processing to 4th year students, with emphasis on software and algorithms. It will equip students with sufficient knowledge to enable employment or postgraduate study involving signal processing.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Understand the general principles of Digital Signal Processing.
- Understand the principles of designing IIR and FIR filters from specifications.
- Understand principles of multi-resolution analysis including wavelet transform methods.
- Understand the process of speech, its analysis and synthesis.
- Understand principles of image processing including coding, edge detection, etc.
- Program in a high-level language such as C, C++ or Java.
- Make decisions about specific filter designs, taking account of specifications.
- Interpret filter analysis results.
- Make decisions about appropriate algorithms to use to detect particular features of an image.
- Realise filters using state equations.