Ferran Brosa Planella
Teaching Responsibilities 2022/23:
- Term 1: PX912-15 Multiscale Modelling Methods & Applications IILink opens in a new window
- Term 2: None
My research interests are in the broad area of industrial and applied mathematics, with a particular interest in modelling of physical processes for sustainable development applications. I combine analytical techniques and numerical techniques to develop and study mathematical models, and use them to provide insight on real-life systems. and my motivation is to use these models as a tool to provide insight on real-life systems. From a mathematical point of view, I am interested in heat and mass transfer, continuum mechanics, moving boundary problems, and dynamical systems.
I understand research as a collaborative and interdisciplinary endeavour and enjoy working with experts from both academia and industry to bring together models and applications. I am also a strong supporter of open science and I am a core developer of PyBaMM, an open-source battery modelling software with state-of-the-art models and methods.
For a full list of publications see my publications page.
- F. Brosa Planella, W. Ai, A. Boyce, A. Ghosh, I. Korotkin, S. Sahu, V. Sulzer, R. Timms, T. Tranter, M. Zyskin, S. Cooper, J.S. Edge, J.M. Foster, M. Marinescu, B. Wu, G. Richardson, A continuum of physics-based lithium-ion battery models reviewed, Progress in Energy. 4 (2022) 042003.
- K. O’Regan, F. Brosa Planella, W.D. Widanage, E. Kendrick, Thermal-electrochemical parameters of a high energy lithium-ion cylindrical battery, Electrochimica Acta. 425 (2022) 140700.
- F. Brosa Planella, M. Sheikh, W.D. Widanage, Systematic derivation and validation of a reduced thermal-electrochemical model for lithium-ion batteries using asymptotic methods, Electrochimica Acta. 388 (2021) 138524.
- C.-H. Chen, F. Brosa Planella, K. O’Regan, D. Gastol, W.D. Widanage, E. Kendrick, Development of experimental techniques for parameterization of multi-scale lithium-ion battery models, Journal of The Electrochemical Society. 167 (2020) 080534.
- F. Brosa Planella, C.P. Please, R.A. Van Gorder, Extended Stefan problem for solidification of binary alloys in a finite planar domain, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics. 79 (2019) 876–913.
Recent Research Grants:
- The Faraday Institution Industry Sprint (FIRG055): VIPER: Validated and Integrated Platform for battEry Remaining life. Co-I, with Dhammika Widanalage as PI. 09/2022 - 11/2023.