Mathematics Colloquium 2016-17
Organisers: Claude Baesens, Brian Bowditch and Xue-Mei Li
Additional colloquia, titles and abstracts will be added as details become available.
Colloquia take place on Friday afternoons at 4.00pm, Lecture Room B3.02 in the Mathematics Institute, Zeeman Building. They are directed towards a general mathematical audience. In particular, one of the functions of these Colloquia is to inform non-specialists and graduate students about recent trends, ideas and results in some area of mathematics, or a closely related field.
Autumn Term 2016/17
- 07 October 2016 Ben Leimkuhler (Edinburgh) Designer diffusions for efficient sampling with applications in molecular modelling and data analytics
- 14 October 2016 Tom Coates (Imperial) Mirror Symmetry and Classification
- 21 October 2016 Daniel Ueltschi (Warwick) From condensed matter physics to probability theory
- 28 October 2016 Raul Tempone (KAUST) On Monte Carlo, Multilevel Monte Carlo and Multi Index Monte Carlo
- 04 November 2016 Vassili Gelfreich (Warwick) Arnold Diffusion and Multiple Time Scales in Hamiltonian Dynamics
- 11 November 2016 Beatrice Pozzetti (Warwick) Higher Teichmüller Theory
- 18 November 2016 Alain Goriely (Oxford) The Mathematics and Mechanics of the Brain: from Axon to Organ, from Morphogenesis to Trauma
25 November 2016 Ed Corrigan (York) Defects and Integrability
- 02 December 2016 Sarah Zerbes (UCL) Elliptic curves and the conjecture of Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer
- 09 December 2016 Stephen Donkin (York) Representations of symmetric groups and general linear groups
Spring Term 2016/17
- 13 January 2017 Julia Gog (Cambridge) Hunting for viral packaging signals
- 19 January 2017 **Thursday!** Dusa McDuff (Columbia) Symplectic Topology Today (usual room)
- 27 January 2017 Alain Valette (Neuchatel) The Kadison-Singer problem
- 03 February 2017 Gui-Qiang Chen (Oxford) Partial Differential Equations of Mixed Elliptic-Hyperbolic Type in Mechanics and Geometry
- 10 February 2017 Anne Taormina (Durham) The riches of Mathieu Moonshine
- 17 February 2017 Jean Bricmont (UCL, Belgium) What is the meaning of the wave function?
- 24 February 2017 Emmanuel Breuillard (Münster) Hausdorff Banach Tarski paradox and dense free subgroup
- 03 March 2017 Mihalis Dafermos (Cambridge) On falling into black holes
- 10 March 2017 Koji Fujiwara (University of Kyoto) Mapping class groups in Geometric group theory
- 17 March 2017 Mike Stillman (Cornell) Applications of computational algebraic geometry in physics
Summer Term 2016/17
- 28 April 2017 Rich Schwartz (Brown) 5 points on a sphere
- 05 May 2017 No colloquium
- 12 May 2017 Tristan Riviere (ETH) How much does it cost...to turn the sphere inside out?
- 19 May 2017 Richard Thomas (Imperial) Counting Curves
- 26 May 2017 Bojan Mohar (Simon Fraser University & IMFM) Paths and trails of odd length and totally odd immersions of graphs
- 02 June 2017 Cameron Gordon (Austin, Texas) Left-orderability of 3-manifold groups
- 09 June 2017 Robert Kerr (Warwick) Scaling of Navier-Stokes trefoil reconnection
- 16 June 2017 reserved for PhD talks (Barkley)
- 23 June 2017 [room B3.03] Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb (Cambridge) PDEs and variational approaches in inverse imaging and their adaption via learning
- ! Tuesday 27 June 2017, 4:30 pm [room MS.01] Christl Donnelly (Imperial) What have numbers ever done for you?
- 30 June 2017 Dept BBQ
- EXTRA DATE
14 July 2017 Shigefumi Mori (Kyoto Univ. IAS), On the classification of algebraic varieties