Content: An introduction to the way in which mathematical modelling and analysis is used to understand biological and biomedical systems. Examples will be drawn from a range of biological systems and basic modelling and analysis methodology will be introduced..
• to introduce basic modelling and analysis methodology in a practical manner, based on a series of simple case studies;
• to give a taste of applications of mathematics in the life sciences;
• to rehearse and reinforce basic material on ordinary differential equations in an applied context.;
• to appreciate the importance of mathematics for contemporary biological and biomedical research.
Objectives: At the end of the module you should be able:
• to translate a simple biological problem into a mathematical model;
• to give a biological interpretation for simple systems of ODEs and their behaviour;
• to apply some well-known techniques for analysing models;
• to apply the same modelling methodology to simple problems in other disciplines such as engineering, computer science or economics
Mathematical Models of Biological Systems, Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-958218-1.