I have a long-standing collaboration with CFSA, initially in the complex systems aspects of space plasma physics, now broadened to include laboratory plasmas and climate.
In May 2021 I shared the Lloyds' of London Science of Risk Prize in the Climate Change category with 3 colleagues for our paper in Nature Communications.
In the spring term of 2021 I enjoyed a new challenge: lecturing a varied group of mathematics and physics students on the Cosmology (314MP) course at Coventry University. I was honoured to receive an award under their "I Love My Staff" scheme.
CURRENT AND RECENT POSITIONS
- November 2020- Visiting Professor, Grantham Research Institute, LSE, UK
- February 2018: Sabbatical Visitor to Santa Fe Institute
- Academic Year 2017-2018: Visiting the Centre for Space Physics, at Boston University
- 2013- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics, School of Engineering & Innovation, Open University, UK
- 2014-2020, Visiting Professor, Centre for the Analysis of Time Series, LSE, UK.
- Since 2000, Associate Fellow, CFSA, University of Warwick, UK.
NOTABLE RECENT RESEARCH FUNDING
- Grant from London Mathematical Laboratory to support initial collaboration with Dr Nicholas Moloney. Collaboration is ongoing with him in his new roles including Imperial College London.
- Invited Visitor to Advanced Study Group Statistical Physics and Anomalous Dynamics of Foraging, at Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems (MPIPKS). Dresden. Funded by ONR Global, and also hosted at the Metzler group, University of Potsdam.
- Senior Researcher Guest Scientist, MPIPKS, Dresden
RECENT MEETINGS CO-CONVENED
- 2016 Real World Risks and Extremes: Correlation and Quantification, Warwick Business School at the Shard, London. Blogged at the Cabot Institute
- 2016 Ergodicity Breaking and Anomalous Dynamics, Mathematics Institute, Warwick University.
RECENT COMMITTEE SERVICE
- 2009-2019 Member of the committee of the UK Institute of Physics Nonlinear & Complex Physics Group
Presenting response of our team (led by Ilaria Prosdocimi, Bath) to challenge 3: "Estimating Flood Probability Using Historical Data" at Environmental Modelling in Industry study group, 3rd-6th April 2017 at the Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge [Broken link]
My talk "Fact versus formula in the power spectra of complex systems" at the 2016 CONES meeting, King's College London, Centre for Doctoral Training in Cross-Disciplinary Approaches to Non-Equilibrium Systems. [Broken link]
I participated in the BBC Radio 3 programme on Aphantasia and SDAM, "the Mind's Eye" which was chosen by the BBC for their 2016 Must-Listen Podcast Episodes .
Centre for Fusion, Space & Astrophysics
Department of Physics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL