I am a clinical and health psychologist interested in sleep, insomnia, chronic pain, physical activity rhythm, suicide risk, and mental health in general. The ultimate goal of my research is to build an all-round evidence base to inform treatment development.
I lead a range of projects, from experimental studies to qualitative studies; from meta-analysis, secondary data analysis, experience sampling studies, to multi-centre randomised controlled trials. I am particularly experienced in developing hybrid cognitive behaviour therapy (hybrid CBT) to tackle complex comorbid conditions.
I am Director of the Warwick Sleep and Pain Laboratory and Academic Co-Lead of the Warwick Health Global Research Priority Mental Health Theme. I am PI/co-I on various projects including the Warwick Insomnia and Pain Study, I-WOTCH, WITHIN and RECOVERS. I am a member of the Warwick Centre for Mental Health and Wellbeing Research Centre and a work package lead of the Midlands Engine Mental Health Productivity Pilot.
- Herrero Babiloni, Alberto, Beetz, Gabrielle, Tang, Nicole K. Y., Heinzers, Raphael, Nijs, Jo, Martel, Marc and Lavigne, Gilles J. (2021) Towards the endotyping of the sleep-pain interaction : a topical review on multitarget strategies based on phenotypic vulnerabilities and putative pathways. Pain, 162 (5). pp. 1281-1288. doi:10.1097/j.pain.0000000000002124
- Tang, Nicole K. Y., Moore, Corran, Parsons, Helen, Sandhu, Harbinder, Patel, Shilpa, Ellard, David R., Nichols, Vivien P., Madan, Jason, Collard, Victoria Elizabeth Janet, Sharma, Uma and Underwood, Martin (2020) Implementing a hybrid cognitive-behavioural therapy for pain-related insomnia in primary care : lessons learnt from a mixed-methods feasibility study. BMJ Open, 10 (3). e034764. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-034764
- Sandhu, Harbinder K., Abraham, Charles, Alleyne, Sharisse, Balasubramanian, Shyam, Betteley, Lauren, Booth, Katie, Carnes, Dawn, Furlan, Andrea D., Haywood, Kirstie L., Iglesias Urrutia, Cynthia Paola, Lall, Ranjit, Manca, Andrea, Dipesh, Mistry, Nichols, Vivien P., Noyes, Jennifer, Rahman, Anisur, Seers, Kate, Shaw, Jane, Tang, Nicole K. Y., Taylor, Stephanie, Tysall, Colin, Underwood, Martin, Withers, Emma J., Eldabe, Sam. (2019) Testing a support programme for opioid reduction for people with chronic non-malignant pain : the I-WOTCH randomised controlled trial protocol. BMJ Open, 9 (8). e028937. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-028937
- Tang, Nicole K. Y., Stella, Maria Teresa, Banks, Ptolemy D. W., Sandhu, Harbinder and Berna, Chantal (2019) The effect of opioid therapy on sleep quality in patients with chronic non-malignant pain : a systematic review and exploratory meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews . doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2019.03.005
- Richter, David, Krämer, Michael D., Tang, Nicole K. Y., Montgomery-Downs, Hawley E. and Lemola, Sakari (2019) Long-term effects of pregnancy and childbirth on sleep satisfaction and duration of first-time and experienced mothers and fathers. Sleep . doi:10.1093/sleep/zsz015
- Tang, Nicole K. Y. (2018) Cognitive behavioural therapy in pain and psychological disorders : towards a hybrid future.Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 87 (Part B). pp. 281-289.doi:10.1016/j.pnpbp.2017.02.023
- Afolalu, Esther F., Ramlee, Fatanah and Tang, Nicole K. Y. (2018) Effects of sleep changes on pain-related health outcomes in the general population : a systematic review of longitudinal studies with exploratory meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 39 . pp. 82-97. doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2017.08.001
- Ramlee, Fatanah, Sanborn, Adam N. and Tang, Nicole K. Y. (2017) What sways people's judgement of sleep quality? A quantitative choice-making study with good and poor sleepers. Sleep, 40 (7). Sleep zsx091.. doi:10.1093/sleep/zsx091
- Tang, Nicole K. Y., Fiecas, Mark, Afolalu, Esther F. and Wolke, Dieter (2017) Changes in sleep duration, quality, and medication use are prospectively associated with health and wellbeing : analysis of the UK household longitudinal study.Sleep, 40 (3).