Psycholinguistics, Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology.
Gestures that spontaneously accompany speaking and thinking, Development of language and gesture in children, Relationship between spatial language and cognition, Sound symbolism.
- Aussems, S., & Kita, S. (in press). Seeing iconic gesture promotes first- and second-order verb generalization in preschoolers. Child Development. https://dx.doi/org/10.1111/cdev.13392 (Open Access)
- Imai, M., & Kita, S. (2014). The sound symbolism bootstrapping hypothesis for language acquisition and language evolution. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 369(1651). http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2013.0298 Open Access accepted version: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/65926/
- Senghas, A., Kita, S., & Özyürek, A. (2004). Children creating core properties of language: Evidence from an emerging sign language in Nicaragua. Science, 305(5697), 1779-1782. http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1100199 Open Access Pre-Print: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/66237/
- Kita, S., & Özyürek, A. (2003). What does cross-linguistic variation in semantic coordination of speech and gesture reveal?: Evidence for an interface representation of spatial thinking and speaking. Journal of Memory and Language, 48, 16-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0749-596X(02)00505-3 Open Access accepted version: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/66232/
- Fritz, I., Kita, S., Littlemore, J., & Krott, A. (2021). Multimodal language processing: How preceding discourse constrains gesture interpretation and affects gesture integration when gestures do not synchronise with semantic affiliates. Journal of Memory and Language, 117, 104191. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2020.104191 Open Access accepted version: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/144061/
- Kita, S., Alibali, M. W., & Chu, M. (2017). How Do Gestures Influence Thinking and Speaking? The Gesture-for-Conceptualization Hypothesis. Psychological Review, 124(3), 245-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/rev0000059 Open Access accepted version: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/84187/