The Applied Statistics & Risk Unit (AS&RU) is a research and consultancy unit within the Statistics department at the University of Warwick. AS&RU has a remit to encourage and co-ordinate external partnerships — with academic and non-academic (industry, government, non-governmental organisations) partners alike — which give rise to new research avenues and enable the early applications of theoretical, methodological and algorithmic developments.
A non-exhaustive list of what we can provide support for is given below:
- Statistical modelling
- Uncertainty handling in complex systems
- Expert witness services
- Expert judgement and structured elicitation
- Design of experiments
- Bayesian decision support systems
- Industry-Academic PhD projects (iCaseLink opens in a new window)
- Masters-level data analysis projects for industry and external partners
Our team is highly experienced in collaborating with external partners and delivering on projects in a timely manner. You can read more about current and past AS&RU team members hereLink opens in a new window. We also have experience in facilitating external collaborations with other members of the Warwick Statistics department (see full list of current staffLink opens in a new window). Recent collaborators include:
- Prof Jane HuttonLink opens in a new window (Expert Witness)
- Dr Martyn ParkerLink opens in a new window and Dr Joan NakatoLink opens in a new window (Happy Linen)
- Prof Keith AbramsLink opens in a new window (Medical Statistics)
Examples of past and current projects by the AS&RU can be found hereLink opens in a new window
ReputationDiscover our undergraduate courses, including options for industrial and overseas placements
ConsultancyOur post-graduate researchers drive our leading research teams to solve global challenges
ImpactCurrent student information in one place. You will have to be logged into your Warwick student account to use some of these pages.
We are open to applications from highly motivated students who are interested in pursuing a PhD in our research group. We also invite current PhD students from other institutions to apply for a research visit. For more information follow the link in the header.
Our research group
Our research team is a large and diverse group with a wide range of backgrounds and research interests. Click on the header for more information about the research areas that are covered. Below follows a list of the staff members (from both maths and stats) that belong to the probability group. Other opportunties for some of the many projects that P@W interacts with within Warwick can be found on the right-hand menu.
We invite interested young researchers to apply for a Zeeman, Harrison or CRISM fellowship (applications open on a yearly basis).
Apply for a grant
We can help apply for a grant hosted by the University of Warwick and funded by the main founding schemes in the UK:
- EPSRC fellowships
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships
- URKI Future Leaders Fellowships
(Events / Visitors / Papers)
Staff with interests in Probability
Conferences and workshops
List of events linked to the Probability group at Warwick that will take place in the near future:
- Probability Seminar (run jointly by the departments of Maths and Stats)
- Applied Probability Seminar
- Statistical Mechanics Seminars (run by the Maths department)
- Stochastic Finance @ Warwick Seminar